Original Genoa Track

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Hi, does anybody know where I might find the original genoa track that is on the toe rail of my E35MKII?
it's 17.5 feet long 1and a quarter inch wide flat stainless. Holes every two inches every other one counter sunk.

Thanks
Phil

Ian S

Member III
Hi Phil. The track I believe is standard 1/1-4" track originally supplied by Schaffer in Ma. Call Tom at (Rigging Only).
Let Him Know that Capt. Ian in Chicago referred you. BTW the track is aluminum every other hole is beveled to accept a 5/16" machine fastener if memory serves correctly. It will take the shallow curve as you apply it. You may have to replace it in sections due to shipping constraints of the length you require. If so no worries, just make sure you place a slight bevel on the riding surfaces with a bastard file where the sections meet so any truck can make the transition smoothly. good luck!

http://www.riggingonly.com

Cant. Ian

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
SS track was common back in the 70's. I have not seen it on newer boats. My unverified suspicion is that extruded aluminum replaced it in the market. You might find a section at a second-hand chandler, but probably not the exact length you want.

I have seen sections of the ss track that warped and bent from use, on off shore craft. It was basically flat bar, that was drilled and then polished, and mounted on a "riser" of phenolic plastic on some boats. It did the job, most of the time -- but was heavy and not as strong as the later aluminum cross-sections.

If I were in your shoes... I would contact Garhauer. I once wanted sone alum. T track and they sent it in exactly the length wanted. Price was reasonable too.

Good luck!

Loren

Last edited:

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Thank you Loren. Garhauer is on my list to call as well as Rig-Rite but I thought I would ask here also. It is indeed flat bar stock. I have been T-bonned three times while racing. One on the port side and twice on the starboard side. Each time I had rights and the other guy paid. Each time I removed the entire track heated it hammered it mostly flat again and reinstalled it. I difficult job. But I am in the middle of a major refit having decided that I'm keeping this boat forever. So I would like to replace the jacked up track with nice new stuff that I can actually move a car on. Without a hammer that is. :)