Oberdorfer impeller

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I ran into one as well. Failed after two trips out of the marina. I bought mine at Catalina Direct who said i was the only one who reported a failure. Maybe just one in their batch?? I returned it and the spare I bought from them. I think now you have keep a closer eye on the exhaust after replacing. Buy a couple of spares and keep your snap ring pliers ready!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I ran into one as well. Failed after two trips out of the marina. I bought mine at Catalina Direct who said i was the only one who reported a failure. Maybe just one in their batch?? I returned it and the spare I bought from them. I think now you have keep a closer eye on the exhaust after replacing. Buy a couple of spares and keep your snap ring pliers ready!
Or, just keep the spares and chuck the snap ring overboard, since the Oberdorfer pump absolutely doesn't need that snap ring! :) (It's likely only there to keep the shaft from accidentally pulling out of the back of the pump when it is stored or otherwise not installed.)

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Anyone try this brand of impeller?
I've bought a couple of impeller kits from StayCoolPumps both via Amazon and direct. He was responsive and quickly answered my questions. The issues that caused the replacement were my fault. Since I established my checklist and developed good habits, I've not had any issues with the impellers on my Westerbeke/Johnson pump.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I usually buy these 2 at a time and keep spares around. I typically buy a black, oberdorfer impeller and a Globe 815 (run-dry type) and use them interchangeably.

After hearing of the Oberdorfer failures a while back (like G Kiba's), I found one of my new Oberdorfers appeared to be of a markedly lower quality-- one of the blade edges was not straight, and it had lots off excess rubber fragments that looked like excess spill-over from the molding process. Needless to say, I never installed that one. Cant remember who I purchased it from.

So anyway, it sounds like the current batches from StayCoolPumps are up to par.

Thanks.