New E26-2 ; 1986 (Wheel Steering)

diogenes

Hi All,

I am a new owner of a very well-keptScreen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.23.03 PM.png E26-2 that spent its whole life in freshwater. It has a westerbeke 10hp and wheel steering.
It is in my yacht club at Canyon Lake, Texas.
I am very happy that there are so many resources and members willing to share their knowledge and expertise.

Cheers!

Anibal Diogenes

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Congrats on your new acquisition, Anibal. It looks like you obtained a very clean specimen.

The E26-2 is a great little boat. I enjoy sailing mine.

This forum is a good resource, so as questions arise feel free to post them here.

diogenes

Alan,
Thank you very much! I enjoy reading all your posts. Thanks for dropping a line and I hope you don't mind the occasional question.
Anibal

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Ericson site, and ask anything. Also, try the 'search' command, upper right. There are a ton of threads archived here, and a fair % will be about your model and similar models where the systems are extremely similar.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan,
Thank you very much! I enjoy reading all your posts. Thanks for dropping a line and I hope you don't mind the occasional question.
Anibal
This forum is very much about people asking questions and sharing knowledge. As I said, it's a great resource.

You'll soon see that many of the discussions are generic to sailing and boat maintenance. Quite a few others have an Ericson focus, of course, and there are many things that are true of our little boat that apply to any of the Ericsons. And every so often there is a question or discussion that relates specifically to the E26-2. There are several of us E26 owners active on the site, so I think we've got you covered!

Anyway, feel free to weigh in with questions, comments, and so forth. Glad to have you aboard!

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Hooray! Another E26! Welcome, Anibal.

I'll echo what Alan says, we're not as many here compared to the others, but glad to have you. I'm the resident E26 "project" boat. Sounds like we're close to the same age if you have the Westerbeke (and looking at your interior) as they moved to the Universal M12 in the later models.

Please post some details in your 'About' profile and 'Signature'. Would also love to see some more pictures.

diogenes

Hooray! Another E26! Welcome, Anibal.

I'll echo what Alan says, we're not as many here compared to the others, but glad to have you. I'm the resident E26 "project" boat. Sounds like we're close to the same age if you have the Westerbeke (and looking at your interior) as they moved to the Universal M12 in the later models.

Please post some details in your 'About' profile and 'Signature'. Would also love to see some more pictures.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the message. We will certainly exchange information and pictures are coming soon. Yes, I have a Westerbeke 10HP/2 on mine. My boat was in Kansas before it was brought to Texas in 2016. Below is the original sale info of the boat:
I am the third owner and my Yatch Club friend took really good care of this boat. Now is my turn to maintain it. I also own an Ericson Olson 25 (1988) but since accommodations became important for my family, I am transitioning into the E26-2. Clearly not as fast as a boat but way more comfortable despite its size.
The only thing that I need to focus on is the remaining water in the bilge in the forward most compartment. The pump on the compartment behind it does not do a good job at getting it empty. I will try to modify this arrangement. The water is coming from a leak in the exhaust hose that I am in the process of replacing it.
I will keep the group posted!
Anibal

Last edited:

diogenes

Wheel steering 26? That is very cool.
It is different. I still have mixed feelings about it but this is original optional equipment and frees the cockpit while under way ( but not at the dock). I am racer and used to the tiller and know how the wheel (specially small) numbs the feelings... but I got this Ericson 26 to cruise with my family so it serves the purpose well .

Attachments

• cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4826.jpg
    IMG_4826.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 16

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if a larger wheel would fit, perhaps a folding wheel. Even a few inches of increased diameter makes a big difference in feel and rudder rate.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Thanks for the message. We will certainly exchange information and pictures are coming soon. Yes, I have a Westerbeke 10HP/2 on mine. My boat was in Kansas before it was brought to Texas in 2016.
Ah-ha. I remember seeing that posting while digging around in the history of E26s for sale. Very nice! It's been well cared for. I can't say the same for mine, but I'm (mostly) enjoying the restoration.

It is different. I still have mixed feelings about it but this is original optional equipment and frees the cockpit while under way ( but not at the dock). I am racer and used to the tiller and know how the wheel (specially small) numbs the feelings... but I got this Ericson 26 to cruise with my family so it serves the purpose well .
I didn't remember that they had OEM wheel steering on the 26, but another look at the brochure and sure enough, it's mentioned.

It appears your stern rail is different from mine (and others), too. I like the double-rail and the gate for the ladder. Look forward to seeing and hearing more about your boat.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
In my not so unbiased opinion....

The whole wheel vs. tiller thing sometimes evokes strong opinions on each side. And, as you observe, there are pros and cons. I first began sailing on tiller-steered dinghies, and so perhaps having "imprinted" on a tiller set me on that path for good. I've only owned one boat that was wheel steered and have sailed on plenty of others, and I've never liked the wheel, all other things being equal.

Particularly on a 26-foot boat, wheel steering really makes little sense overall. While it is true that a larger wheel is better than a smaller one, the narrowness of the E26 cockpit, carried all the way to the stern, most likely precludes you from upsizing the wheel by a whole lot.

As someone who single hands my boat a good deal of the time, a wheel would not be nearly as comfortable. With the tiller I'm seated close to the cabin bulkhead, giving me easy and unobstructed access to the traveler lines, sheet winches, halyard and reef lines, and so forth. But I can also see your point about eliminating the sweep of the tiller when it comes to sailing with guests.

I did not observe a wheel autopilot in your picture. Does the boat have some kind of autopilot? One other nice thing about a tiller is that you can buy a robust tiller autopilot, such as a Pelagic, for a reasonable price.

My guess is that, if you wanted to, you could convert the boat back to tiller steering with perhaps only moderate fuss. Rudercraft could provide a tiller for your boat--note that the E25+ and the E26-2 should be identical--or you could roll your own. You'd have a few holes to fill and I suppose you'd have to source the cap fitting that goes on top of the rudder post, to which the tiller attaches. And perhaps also the bearing that bolts to the cockpit floor, through which the rudder post protrudes. You could likely sell the current steering system for more than you'd spend on the retrofit.

One definite positive of your wheel setup, though, is the engine throttle and shift controls, which you would need to relocated. I will admit that your setup is MUCH BETTER than what I have to put up with, i.e., having the throttle lever mounted in the cockpit. You would probably also then go with a bulkhead-mounted compass, which is not too big of a deal.

Probably what makes the most sense is to just use what you've got for a while and see what you think. Perhaps you'll come to like the wheel and find it's advantages when sailing with a crowd outweigh the drawbacks. But if not, and you find yourself pining for your tiller-steered Olson 25 days, you could always convert it over.

diogenes

Hi Alan,
All your above points are constantly going over in my head. Thanks for your thoughts. I think that removing this wheel would be a PITA.
I will give it some good time to see if I adapt... Let's see what happens, as for the Olson 25, I am sure that I will miss the speed and responsiveness.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we bought the O-34, we were initially disappointed that it had the optional wheel. I could have retrofitted to a tiller, but would have had to lengthen the rudder post ($$$) and add a new top fitting ($$) at the transom. And then build a tiller ($). We decided to adapt.
As has been pointed out, there are real advantages either way.

For sailing to weather I would much prefer a tiller, but for maneuvering under power in tight quarters in a marina I like the wheel better. For "happy hour" with friends over to sit around the cockpit the wheel is really in the way. And so on and so forth. Etcetera.

I admit that having enjoyed our previous boat for a decade with a tiller, if I were to return to a smaller boat, especially one with no "T" in the cockpit design, I would really want a tiller. Our present boat was designed with a "T" shaped cockpit, so the wheel option was allowed for in the drafting stage.

If I were into making predictions, I would guess that you will adapt to it and enjoy the boat's designed-in sailing abilities..... no matter what rotates the rudder. :egrin:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi Alan,
All your above points are constantly going over in my head. Thanks for your thoughts. I think that removing this wheel would be a PITA.
I will give it some good time to see if I adapt... Let's see what happens, as for the Olson 25, I am sure that I will miss the speed and responsiveness.
Your thinking on this makes good sense. Try it and see how it goes.

One clarification, though: I'm of course not suggesting that merely slapping a tiller on your E26 will make the boat as responsive and certainly not as fast as your O25. While I do think that tiller steering would result in a better feel, especially when sailing upwind (as Loren notes), the E26 will differ significantly from the O25 in its overall sailing characteristics, as you already know.

My sailmaker, who has been actively racing in Southern California since before our boats were made, recalls that when the E26 first came out there were some high hopes for how it would do on the race course. He claims it did not live up to those expectations, and his opinion is that the boat is too heavy to be competitive. But again, he's speaking as a racer.

Before I bought mine, one of the former participants on the EYO forum who lives near me graciously took me out on his E26 and let me sail the boat. I had been considering purchasing the one I now own but wanted to go out with someone who really knew the boat and have an opportunity to put it through its paces. I recall my own initial reaction was that the E26 sails like a much more substantial, heavier boat than I would have expected for its size. I had owned a Cal 25 back in the 70's, and so that was my main point of comparison. But my feeling was that this was a good thing. The boat sailed well, mind you. It had nice balance and gave what I thought was a good (or good enough) turn of speed. But there was something about the motion of the boat through the seas and under the press of the sails that had a kind of solidity to it that I liked. I know I'm not explaining this very well, but this is the best I can do since my morning coffee has yet to kick in! :0305_coff

Unlike your O25, the E26 has a very nice interior for its size. I'm heading over to Catalina on Wednesday and will be there for at least a week, probably more like 10 days. I can live aboard quite well during this time. I've got a nice table in the cabin with a modified backrest that makes desk/computer work very doable. I've got adequate space in the ice box for my food, and the alcohol stove does a fine job and is bullet proof. A portable 100W solar panel keeps my batteries topped off for all the computer work. All in all, it makes a nice little pocket cruiser.

Plus, in my opinion the boat has nice lines. When I hose off the boat and walk away at the end of a trip, I'm always inclined to glance back for one last look. Don't underestimate the importance of that!

diogenes

Alan,
Thank you for your thoughts. The first time I took the E26 out, I had the very same impression. It shows its heft in the way it sails but since I am looking for a more comfortable pocket cruiser, it fits the bill just right. The motion through the puffs in our wind shifty lake were predictable and gentle. I am sure that my family will appreciate it more than a sudden acceleration.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
My sailmaker, who has been actively racing in Southern California since before our boats were made, recalls that when the E26 first came out there were some high hopes for how it would do on the race course. He claims it did not live up to those expectations, and his opinion is that the boat is too heavy to be competitive. But again, he's speaking as a racer.

I couldn't agree more with your take on the 26, but I was surprised on the performance comments. It makes sense looking back, but I constantly had people asking if I was going to race my 25. They often referenced a favorable rating for the boat in the Puget Sound and a neighboring 25+ that did pretty well in the local races.

Congratulations @diogenes on the new purchase. From the pictures, it looks like the cleanest 25+/26 I've seen! Although I prefer the tiller and I think the boat actually sails better with the helmsman away from the stern, I don't know if it's worth the trouble to convert.