Need two GC batteries & price and types are changing...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am looking ro replace my house bank, two Trojan T-145+ six volt batteries. New in 2016, and now losing charge too quickly after only a few hours.
I spoke to a dealer I did business with in the past and a pair of these (current model is the T-145) or the AGM types they really prefer to sell is about $800. for a pair. This is "sticker shock" on a large scale. The last pair of new Trojan batteries were about $350, if I read my old check register correctly. That was in the spring of 2016.
Has lead gone up so much? Doubled?

And, has the rise of AGM battery sales in the general market started to reduce the presence of flooded batteries?
I note that new lesser-brand golf cart (GC) type batteries range from about $150 to over $200. Quite a spread in asking price.
Anyone else notice this? What do you all make of it?

Also, I asked about a pair of 'deep cycle' AGM batteries and the price was virtually the same.

I wonder if I am looking in all the wrong places, as the song said?
:)

Pete the Cat

Member III
I have always used Sams Club golf cart batteries. My present ones are about 4 YR old. Think I got them on sale for $90 a piece back then. . Replaced them every 7 or 8 years and they did not seem to need it. No problems. I really was never too impressed by claims of the more expensive lead acid batteries and I like stuff that is simple and cheap. I have 400 Ah of them on my boat and my daily draw when cruising is about 100 amp a day.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I replaced our 12 year old gel cell batteries in 2016 with AGM batteries. I was told they can be discharged deeper, will recharge faster and last longer. Now in 2023 I am noticing some change as they discharge faster, though are still functioning.
I think regular wet cell flooded are not an option as my batteries are under the quarter berth with no good venting option. I don't think I'll buy AGM again as the possible gains didn't justify the price. Golf cart batteries are one inch too tall to fit in that locker, so I'm also considering all the options, of which there are few good ones.
Frank

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Has lead gone up so much? Doubled?
I've read that we're now in the third stage of price inflation. Stage 1 was from stimulative policies that put a lot of extra dollars into circulation. Stage 2 was related to supply reductions due to people returning to work, supply chain issues, materials and chip shortages, the Ukraine war, etc. Stage 3 is being labeled "greedflation"--corporations and business are keeping prices high because consumers have gotten used to paying them. It was great training (from a business's perspective) to tell customers, I only have one widget left on the shelf, it's $200. Do you want it or not." I don't think businesses want those days to come to an end.

The answer might be to pursue a cheaper route, even if only this once. Interstate deep cycle batteries at Costco used to run about $100. I've gotten 5-7 years out of them. If you only get one year out of them, it's still breakeven with the Trojans. And, maybe a year or two from now the price on Trojans (and many other items) will come a little closer back to reality.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

SLIGC125 Duracell Ultra BCI Group GC2 6V 235AH Flooded Deep Cycle Golf Cart and Scrubber Battery.

Found this battery model, apparently available for pickup about ten miles from my house at a Batteries Plus store, $190.
Looks like there might be an alternative. FWIW, there is no Sam's Club anywhere near me, Some further research is needed, as the saying goes.
Also, the type of terminal bolt it uses will need some research, too,. I will attach a picture of part of the present house bank, for comparison,

Attachments

• 26748.jpg
    26748.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Trojan battery.jpeg
    Trojan battery.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 7

Pete the Cat

Member III

SLIGC125 Duracell Ultra BCI Group GC2 6V 235AH Flooded Deep Cycle Golf Cart and Scrubber Battery.

Found this battery model, apparently available for pickup about ten miles from my house at a Batteries Plus store, $190.
Looks like there might be an alternative. FWIW, there is no Sam's Club anywhere near me, Some further research is needed, as the saying goes.
Also, the type of terminal bolt it uses will need some research, too,. I will attach a picture of part of the present house bank, for comparison,
Checked my local Sams Club and the batteries I bought are now $120. I think they go on sale for a bit less at various times, but things cost more. I have been using golf cart batteries for 30 years and some heavy duty cruising and abuse. I am most reluctant to abandon the reliability I have had with them. They are heavy but I never worried about running out of power. I am careful to not discharge them below 50%, and I keep them on solar systems to have them topped off. Maybe things are different now, but when I cruised Central America for a few years, I figured it would be easier to find golf cart battery replacements than some other more technologically advanced type. I never needed to replace them so I did not find out.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I replaced our 12 year old gel cell batteries in 2016 with AGM batteries. I was told they can be discharged deeper, will recharge faster and last longer. Now in 2023 I am noticing some change as they discharge faster, though are still functioning.
I think regular wet cell flooded are not an option as my batteries are under the quarter berth with no good venting option. I don't think I'll buy AGM again as the possible gains didn't justify the price. Golf cart batteries are one inch too tall to fit in that locker, so I'm also considering all the options, of which there are few good ones.
Frank
Frank, try checking your clearances again. I was able to fit the Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries into my battery compartment without any issues. There are several holes in the battery compartment from past wiring efforts which serve to vent the gases. I could probably put a real vent into the area aft of the quarterberth if needed. This photo is of the previous batteries, but I just replaced them last year with the Trojans. I’ll take a pic next time I’m at the boat.

IMG_5960.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I was ready to spend the money on Lifeline AGM but the salesman flat out told me they were a waste of money for the way I use the boat. They have a finicky charging profile, and it's important to bring them to 100% frequently in order to get the advertised life out of them.
For what it's worth I use Rolls 6V FLA. Same specs as Trojan but a little cheaper.

If there's any advantage to AGM it's that since they're sealed, apparently they can be stowed on their sides/ends. Which might help get more ah on some boats.

Pete the Cat

Member III
I was ready to spend the money on Lifeline AGM but the salesman flat out told me they were a waste of money for the way I use the boat. They have a finicky charging profile, and it's important to bring them to 100% frequently in order to get the advertised life out of them.
For what it's worth I use Rolls 6V FLA. Same specs as Trojan but a little cheaper.

If there's any advantage to AGM it's that since they're sealed, apparently they can be stowed on their sides/ends. Which might help get more ah on some boats.
Isn't it really nice to find a real competent salesperson. I had a battery guy like that here in San Francisco who would listen to your needs and give options. He cruised and lived aboard and he was a terrific resource. I bought all my boat and car batteries from him for decades.