Name the Substance

Ian S

Member III
I know I have probably over contributed to this thread but I wanted to mention a couple of things for the benefit of all our fellow Ericson owners. replacing the acrylic lens is a simple project particularly if you know a decent carpenter or own a few basic woodworking tools.

Cutting the lens. perimeter should be masked off with a quality painters tape #3M blue 2"+

cut to approximate size (within a 1/4" if using a 1/2" router bit) with a band saw or jig saw. (must use an "up cut" medium tooth) or your jig saw will jump. if the saw has a reciprocating feature turn it to 0 value / off

Use the cleaned up original lens as your template and cut your new hatch lens to size with a flush cutting, bearing guided router bit. that is to say the bearing is the same dia. as the bit. your new lens will be perfect!. low rpm preferred 10-12K

I have repaired many of these for people and myself and I have yet to find a bad factory compression gasket. I have been able to retain the original gasket every time saving a fair amount of $$$$ and labor. There are some excellent rubber conditioners on the market which will help to retain / restore pliability.

You must drill your holes with acrylic type bits DO NOT use a standard spiral bit. A very sharp and carefully used chisel point can work but you must be careful and I would consider a drill press a neccesity. You can drill with a modified spiral bit. google "drilling holes acrylic"

I hope this helps a little more.

Capt. Ian

Last edited: