Mold Removal?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

I ran across a link to this product in another sailing forum on the 'net. Several boaters liked it.
Winter is coming and we do get a lot of mold/mildew in the rainy NW.
Have you heard of this product? Tried it?
Thanks....

sialawaysailaway90

I havent but will look into it. I’m terrified of mold and know my Ericson has some. Mold will just ruin you and your/family’s life.

I have heard great things with white distilled vinegar. pairing it with water. Spraying and wiping it away with a cloth. I haven’t read anything about causing damage to fiberglass or gel coating. You can also use lemons too And baking soda (sometimes adding them together) to get a truly clean mildew free boat and not worry about catching some rare form of cancer (I man srsly, have you looked at the back of some of the cleaners? Birth defects? Are you joking?) anyways

I use white vinegar with water to clean anything from my hydro flask to faucets (it’s scary how dirty a faucet can get. especially the one in your kitchen sink and bathroom sink and your shower head) if you’ve never done it, go ahead and give it a try.

hopefully my incoherent rambling that somehow related to your post helped.

jtsai

Member III

I ran across a link to this product in another sailing forum on the 'net. Several boaters liked it.
Winter is coming and we do get a lot of mold/mildew in the rainy NW.
Have you heard of this product? Tried it?
Thanks....
I have had good experience with Concrobium It removes mildew from wood and vinyl surfaces. My experience is during hot moisture laden summer after boat left unused for few weeks.

Slick470

Member III
We first used it to remove mold in our house after our refrigerator leaked while we were gone on vacation. It did a great job and I've used it on and off on the boat since.

shard7

1974 E27 'Bluey'
I have a serious mold allergy and keeping our boat dry and mold free is a top priority (right up with there with making sure it doesn't sink!)

Hydrogen peroxide (especially the stronger 12%) is great at killing mold on hard surfaces such wood and fiberglass. It foams up when contacts mold which is satisfying but also helpful for seeing where there's mold and when it's been fully mitigated. However, be sure to wear gloves, safety glasses and perhaps a respirator because it's potent stuff.

Concrobium looks very promising because of it's ability to protect against mold growth in the future. I plan to pick some up and add it to my arsenal.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the related subject of keeping the interior dry, I did install a number of vents all around the inside lower vertical surfaces. They have made a noticeable difference in hull areas behind them. Circulating air into (formerly) closed areas is really helpful.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do Golden Rod Dehumidifiers work? I see a lot of them on boats.

A daughter of mine has closets with wet floors and mold on clothes, result of living on a foggy seaside cliff. I just installed one 24" Golden Rod in two of her closets, and the result has been satisfying. The plug-in house-current rods are warm all the time, and raise the temp of the closet enough to deter moisture. Quite a dramatic result.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Do Golden Rod Dehumidifiers work?
Most moisture problems are due to high "relative" humidity, which is temperature dependent. Golden Rod is a low intensity heater, which raises the space temperature, thus reducing the relative humidity. It doesn't actually remove humidity from the air like more common dehumidifiers (those reduce "absolute" humidity). But for small enclosed spaces which need to be "drier" than adjacent spaces, or which due to location are colder than adjacent spaces (like a locker with exposure to a cold hull), modest heating to decrease relative humidity may be all that is needed.

Like air pressure, humidity or water vapor exerts its own "vapor pressure", and will seek to equalize when not impeded by a vapor barrier or retarder. So a heater won't "drive out moisture", but will increase the capacity of the air to absorb moisture from adjacent materials.