Mast refinish

areisenweb

Greetings fellow Ericson enthusiasts. This is my first post, as a 9 month owner of a 1993 Ericson 380, built by Pacific Seacraft.

I’ve done research on options to refinish my boom and mast, currently still the factory white. I’m pretty much convinced repainting is the way to go. I plan this as a DIY job.

My question: how does one handle painting the sail tracks? Should I avoid stripping the tracks? If they are stripped, how does one paint the inside of the track? The rest of the job seems fairly straight forward…just a lot of work.

Lots of info on this topic, but I’ve seen nothing about this particular detail.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I would be concerned that painting the inside of the track would make it harder to raise the sail, and the paint would possibly rub away there anyway over time due to the friction of the sail slides. I would not paint the track.
Frank

Stuphoto

Member III
There are a few YouTube videos on that, and if I remember correctly one is even an Ericson in the Vancouver, BC area.
However it's around 20 years older than your boat and probably a little different.

If it was my boat, and I liked the original color I would just mask a couple mm or 1/8 of an inch off the edge, and paint up to there.

I can promise you that You are the only person whom will ever see it.
Fort that matter, 99% of the people walking past will never notice an ugly mast. They just see a beautiful or ugly sailboat and judge it on that alone.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
By coincidence I was helping a friend with the relaunch of his boat today. It was out of the water about 5 months for a long list of updates and upgrades. One item was repairing the paint on a section of the spar. The mast is generally looking quite good, but there was a section near the base that was really beat up for about a six foot length, and right where everyone noticed it. The yard managed to get a match so good that we had to be told where to look to try and find the area where the new and old paint were faired together.
So it kind of gets back (inevitably) to the paint and the skill of the painter.....

Brendan Prendergast

I would be concerned that painting the inside of the track would make it harder to raise the sail, and the paint would possibly rub away there anyway over time due to the friction of the sail slides. I would not paint the track.
Frank
I agree with Frank. I don't think the track should be painted. Any gum up or drips could mess with the raising of the sail. You also don't want to ruin the bearings on your sail cars when forcing it through possibly thick paint. Then you would have two problems! When the track was painted, it could have been sprayed which makes it easier to get an even coat.

areisenweb

Unless I find corrosion or other problem inside the track, I will probably use a strategy as Stuphoto suggests…mask off the track and paint the rest.

Stuphoto

Member III
I think it will still look amazing, especially if it's close to the same color.
I hope you can show us before and after photos.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Before you buy the fancy paint etc.

Get a 3M heavy duty compound bottle and a rotating buffer with a wool wheel. It might well be enough. I moved the cosmetics needle a great deal imho opinion by buffing out the oxidation and waxing it shiny. Easy work once the mast is on sawhorses.

$.02

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
69FC18BC-DE2D-4B23-AFF6-772DB18885A3.jpeg
1990 Isomat factory paint, buffed out.

Unless you have pros do it in a paint shed, it will be difficult to approach the quality of the original finish. I would wax and buff my car but I wouldn’t try to repaint it myself.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I've painted my mast twice - in 1995 with one-part Brightside, and in 2016 with two-part Perfection. (Roller, both times. I'm too proud to brush and too stupid to spray.)

Perfection is 20% more of a PITA to apply but is two or three times more durable. And, the application is the easiest part of the job, so definitely go with the two-part paint. But follow the instructions for sanding, priming, and coating METICULOUSLY.

Mast painting is a huge while-you're-at-it project. You'll be replacing your halyards, toppinglift, wiring, lights, antenna, Windex, spreader bolts, mast hardware, some standing rigging, etc., etc., etc. Don't say you weren't warned about this.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, note that some boats--my '85 32-3 among them--had a black anodized mast from Kenyon.

Fades like paint, and mocks paint in appearance. But can sometimes be improved with just cleaning and wax.