Mast gooseneck bracket

EricD.

Hello, the lower lug on my mast gooseneck fitting is badly worn and I was hoping to cut it off and replace the whole thing with a s.s. bracket but I'm having trouble finding one online that would work. If I had to, I could make one. but I would rather buy one if I can. Does anyone know where I could find a bracket to fit my '76 32-2? Thanks.
DSCF3184.JPG

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Would it be possible to drill it out so it's round, and insert a bushing with a slight flange top so it doesn't slide thru, to bring it back to the size you need?
Frank

EricD.

I really like that idea, it wouldn't be difficult at all, my only worry would be how little strength is left with the lack of material under the bushing.

Attachments

• DSCF3185.JPG
    DSCF3185.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 11

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I really like that idea, it wouldn't be difficult at all, my only worry would be how little strength is left with the lack of material under the bushing.
Eric,
Could you have a welder build the area back up? Then file/grind, drill and install a bushing if you still felt it was needed?
Jeff

EricD.

I have the tools and the ability to do that myself, but I'm lazy and really do not want to take the mast down. It would facilitate other repairs as well, but I'm afraid that if I take it down it will not go back up this summer. My spare time for boat repairs is limited.

Prairie Schooner

I have the tools and the ability to do that myself, but I'm lazy and really do not want to take the mast down. It would facilitate other repairs as well, but I'm afraid that if I take it down it will not go back up this summer. My spare time for boat repairs is limited.
I was thinking weld it while still on the boat. My concern would be for isolating the current so electronics didn't get fried. But, maybe that's not an issue. I'd think there are people around you who specialize in shipboard welding.
We had the mast removed for this winter and it is Crazy expensive. I understand your reluctance to do that.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welding is a good solution but I think you may find the issue I did:

Which is that aluminum long exposed to salt and weather resists arc welding. The old metal has voids and contains moisture, making it pop and sputter,

I base this on two welds of mid-1980s pedestals, one easy (I don't know why) , the current one a challenge. The yard that finally accepted the job made a bit of a mess of it, requiring grinding and smoothing with filler. Also, a broken aluminum cast gooseneck, which after doing his best the welder declared he didn't trust his own work at all.

A sister plate, bolted, is still a potential option.

Prairie Schooner

Welding is a good solution but I think you may find the issue I did:
Rule #1: Nothing is easy.
Rule #2: There are no exceptions to Rule #1.

Sage caveat, Christian. Though, I'm guessing that bracket was cut out of plate which is much more dense than a casting. And with a robust commercial marine fleet up there, I gotta believe there's a tech capable of that. But, . . . Rule #1