Mast Climber

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Careful!

My pram mast is 7 feet high, and becomes quite unstable as soon as I get even halfway up.[/QUOTE]

Geeze, Christian, be careful climbing that mast. Save yourself for Monday.

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Mast Mate

attachment.php

Here's a photo of my Mast Mate on an Ericson 32. I've gone up the mast twice with it now, and it seems to be reliable, just like going up a ladder. In this photo, I used the mast strap as a backup, but the next time, I used a climbing harness with the back end of a different halyard as a back up. The mast strap has a tool pouch in the back, so I keep using it too.

The first time, my legs got a little wobbly after climbing up, so I think I'll need more supportive shoes next time, but I was able to do what I needed to do, and now I can adjust the climbing harness to take most of my weight while working at the top, so that helps.

I agree with Christian, this should only be used on the Ericson. I hauled it up the mast of my Boston Whaler Squall (about 8') and ended up in the water both times, even with the centerboard down.:rolleyes:

-Dean

Attachments

• mastmate.jpg
    mastmate.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 500

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Just watched the viedo

I just watched the video and that thing looks awesome! IF you have a second person there to help you. It certainly solves the problem of having a lightweight person raising a heavier person up on a bosun's chair. Depending on your situation, that would be preferable to the mast mate. I do most of my work on the boat alone, so the mast mate works better for me.

Now I just need to find a way to do through bolts by myself.....:thinker:

-Dean

TS Farley

Member II
Singing Tree rope runner

I bought some arborist equipment this year for single ascents using the main or spinnaker halyard. The system consists of the halyard threaded through the rope runner, a climbing harness clipped to the rope runner, an ankle ascender for one foot hooked onto the halyard and a foot loop clipped to the rope runner for the other foot. It works very well. You just walk up the halyard and then slide back down smoothly using one hand to control the tension of the rope runner. It's a very slick system and Barlett even threw in a t-shirt. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 191

u079721

Contributing Partner
Long time readers here will know that I've made a study of mast climbing methods over the years, and have even written about it for Good Old Boat. I have to say that "Easy Climb" board looks pretty slick, though I would pair it with a climbing harness rather than a bosun's chair.

As for the Mast Mate, I tried one once and it scared me to death. Hurts your feet too unless you wear sturdy boots rather than deck shoes.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
climbers harness

My son (who will be climbing the mast) said he has used this harness for police work and was completely comfortable and safe feeling. Add a couple safety redundancies (like safety harness and second halyard rope stopper ) and what's wrong with this kind of set up? Throw in the climbing aid at the start of this thread and it looks like a great, safe way to go up.

harness: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-harnesses/big-gun-harness-BD651030_cfg.html

stopper: http://www.sterlingrope.com/c/arbor_sewn-cord-and-lanyards_6mm-sewn-cord?
pkey=af86f7add74cffb56e9881e7cb6c8941&ckey=1114759.1131947.1114348.0.0

What do you think?

u079721

Contributing Partner
My son (who will be climbing the mast) said he has used this harness for police work and was completely comfortable and safe feeling. Add a couple safety redundancies (like safety harness and second halyard rope stopper ) and what's wrong with this kind of set up? Throw in the climbing aid at the start of this thread and it looks like a great, safe way to go up.

harness: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-harnesses/big-gun-harness-BD651030_cfg.html

stopper: http://www.sterlingrope.com/c/arbor_sewn-cord-and-lanyards_6mm-sewn-cord?
pkey=af86f7add74cffb56e9881e7cb6c8941&ckey=1114759.1131947.1114348.0.0

What do you think?

Nothing at all wrong with the harness. As I mentioned in my article I prefer the more heavily padded "rescue" type harness, but any harness that will hold you will do. The key with the harness is to be sure it is fitted so that it will even hold you if you "turn turtle". The "stopper" you show is just a commercial version of the classic Prusik hitch that has been used by climbers for eons. It works, but it depends upon being drawn up correctly to hold so it is NOT fool proof. I would recommend (and used to use) a Jumar ascended instead, but the Prusik can be made to work.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
"it is NOT fool proof. I would recommend (and used to use) a Jumar ascended "- Thank you, Steve!! I just looked at a youtube using these. YES! exactly what I want.

Last edited: