Mast boots

ChrisG

Member I
What do you guys use for mast boots? I'm experimenting but am so far not happy with anything I've tried.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

This system keeps all the water out from around the outside of the spar.

Pete the Cat

Member III
I use the neoprene mast boot that most of us can get at the chandlery. I assume you have tried this. I also cover it with a canvas cover because, despite the advertisements, it does not do will in UV. I have one on both my boats and have had no problems if installed correctly. What problem have you had? I hate Spartite.

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
I have the same question, i.e. I need a new mast boot for my 38-200. So, thought I would just add to this thread. What has worked well for others? Since the mast and the above-deck fitting that it goes through are different shapes I'm a bit stumped as to the best way to handle that. I did search for neoprene mast boots but did't get any hits.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One caveat: remember that UV will degrade your new vinyl mast boot. Be sure to cover it with a close fitted sunbrella cover. This is pictured in the link to my blog.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This is what I ended up using:

This project almost broke me. Going back to the boat to find a puddle at the bottom of the mast was demoralizing, especially after pouring the SparTite. I initially thought my final solution was leaking, but I found out later it was the hatch. After replacing the hatch, I no longer have any water coming in during storms or washing the boat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just have a Sunbrella sun cover, since the waterproof boot underneath is the stretchy plastic tape sold for that purpose. I probably made a pattern first in scrap cloth, to get the Velcro closure right. To make a watertight boot, just use a big hose clamp on top and fold the cloth back over it.

E38 mast boot cover.JPG