Mast Boot wrap

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I installed a self-bonding mast boot wrap several years ago, but cannot recall what I used. It now has developed many small holes. I need a wrap, not a formed boot as the mast will not be removed.
What do y’all recommend (or, not recommend)? I see 2 options at WM.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Whatever you wrap the mast penetration with, be Sure to cover it with a Sunbrella (r) boot to keep the UV away. Pix in my blog.
If you are not pulling the spar, you can used a self-amalgamating material to tightly wrap the spar and collar fitting.

Last edited:

c.gustafson

Member II
Several years ago, I had some leakage at the mast boot on my '87 38-200. I purchased an innertube for a small tire (my recollection is that the innertube was for a wheelbarrow) and then cut the innertube so that it would wrap around the mast a couple times. I used some sort of sealant at the top portion of the innertube and, of course, used large metal hose clamps at the top and bottom of the innertube. And then I wrapped the "mast boot" with relatively wide, white mast boot tape. No leaks over the last 5 years.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sunbrella mast gaiter (see Loren's post) made with home sewing machine and Velcro closure.

Seal is provided by stretchy boot tape underneath, but is vulnerable to UV.

E38 mast boot cover.JPG

Sam Vickery

Member III
Many years ago (advanced age does not allow to remember when exactly) I use Spartite on my 1986 32-3. Fantastic stuff. no leaks and the mast is still up.

Sam
1986 32-3
M25 engine
Dana Point, Ca.