Making sails

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
For years now, I've been considering making a set of sails: a 90% jib and a main. I've recently upgraded to a new, larger industrial walking foot zig zag sewing machine for other projects, and I have the space and (finally!) time to take on these projects. I just entered talks with Sailrite to create the specifications, which will result in a package of materials and pre-cut panels, with stitching and assembly performed in my garage. I'm currently learning toward longevity (Dacron) for both sails with the gains in performance and strength of a tri-radial cut over cross cut. But this is a new area for me, so open to suggestions. These will be used mostly for local and coastal cruising, and will be backups on longer passages.

Just casting a broad inquiry here: Who has made sails, and what wisdom is there to be acquired for this DIY project?

Ignacio

p.s. I just finished a rather extensive refit of my boat. Here she is. The sails are the next project on that undying list.

Attachments

• xitlali.png
    xitlali.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
I have tri radial sails, after having cross cut sails for many years. The tri radial will last much better, but they have alot more seams, so will will be alot more complex to sew. Good experience though!
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wisdom? Can't help with that....

But I think I'd make the jib first, and see how it comes out, and how I like hauling vast expanses of Dacron across my garage.

I recently scrubbed and bleached and washed my old sails in the driveway, prior to storage, and was amazed at the amount of manhandling required. And there were parts of the sails, at the clew, that my Sailrite LSZ simply couldn't handle (8.4 oz. jib). But maybe you now have a stronger machine.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Wisdom? Can't help with that....

But I think I'd make the jib first, and see how it comes out, and how I like hauling vast expanses of Dacron across my garage.

I recently scrubbed and bleached and washed my old sails in the driveway, prior to storage, and was amazed at the amount of manhandling required. And there were parts of the sails, at the clew, that my Sailrite LSZ simply couldn't handle (8.4 oz. jib). But maybe you now have a stronger machine.
It sounds like you were repairing a sail. What did you end up using when the LSZ-1 didn't work? Sewing awl?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
jib clew repair.JPG

I was defeated by the clew of the heavy 120 jib. The cover layer had come off and the machine couldn't penetrate the underlying cloth and glue. I think I drilled holes and used a sewing awl.

I recognize that making a sail is a pursuit of intellectual curiosity and not intended to match Robbie Doyle's computer program in Indonesia, but man, it was a lot of work just to reinforce the leech tape of that jib. My work table is 33" x 7', and wresting the cloth off the floor and getting it to run through the throat of the sewing machine was awkward. Hard to keep enough cloth on the table while then needing to sit and feed and find the foot control with one tootsie. The issue was the difference in height of floor and table.

I think I would find it necessary to rig a much bigger table, a temp table of 4x8 plywood sections, huge as possible in imitation of a sail loft space. Or maybe put the sewing machine on the floor, so the sail could be pulled through it. Such gymnastics are beyond me unless I start getting younger fast.

Of course, maybe the solution is a helper. A young apprentice, perhaps a young woman. Might solve all my problems. Or start them all over again, come to think of it.

There must be many who've made sails and have answers better than this to home construction needs. I kinda like buying new sails, and look for an excuse for it.

By the way, when you get around to it give us more on the recent upgrades to your boat, which looks very spicy in the photo.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I think I would find it necessary to rig a much bigger table, a temp table of 4x8 plywood sections, huge as possible in imitation of a sail loft space. Or maybe put the sewing machine on the floor, so the sail could be pulled through it. Such gymnastics are beyond me unless I start getting younger fast.

Of course, maybe the solution is a helper. A young apprentice, perhaps a young woman. Might solve all my problems. Or start them all over again, come to think of it.

There must be many who've made sails and have answers better than this to home construction needs. I kinda like buying new sails, and look for an excuse for it.

By the way, when you get around to it give us more on the recent upgrades to your boat, which looks very spicy in the photo.
I'll post about the upgrades in a blog post later. There's a lot to write about and have a midterm exam tomorrow. I will say that Jeff Asbury, former E27 owner, designed the new graphics and lettering for the transom. The graphic in my profile pic is part of that.

I was envisioning a table of 4x8 plywood sheets in my garage with an inset on one side for the sewing machine - about halfway along the length to give some space in front of and behind the sewing machine. A helper will either help feed or receive - not sure which yet - but suspect managing the sewn material as it comes out of the machine will be most helpful. I made a 4x8 sewing table on casters a few years ago with a cutout for the LSZ-1. It was very helpful for making cockpit cushions and other projects. I've since converted that to a fixed worktable against a wall, and I form an L with a separate sewing table (different machine). It works well, but it's not enough surface area for sail work.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Boat looks great! Looking forward to seeing more.

Has anyone seen a sail sewing machine on casters that can run on the floor? We have a machine with casters for serging and binding rugs and runners cut from roll carpet. It was a little tricky to get the hang of keeping ours running straight since the material rises to meet the sewing foot but it’s doable.