M25 XP throttle trouble

brassmeister

Hi all,

1989 32-3 with Universal M25 XP. Today the throttle wouldn't return to idle, making it nearly impossible to shift the trans. The throttle bracket appears to have holes for a throttle return spring, and I was able to rig some zip ties and elastic to pull the throttle linkage back and the speed control plate back to the idle stop screw. It got us home. Looking at the Westerbeke parts list I don't see a spring for the throttle linkage, just for the governor. Is there a throttle return spring? Do the governor springs pull the throttle back to idle? Something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard the forum. Do you turn off your engine by pulling the throttle back beyond idle? (The alternative method is a kill cable).

I have a spring that provides resistance, so you don't turn the engine off accidentally, and which returns the throttle to idle.

throttle 1.JPG ... throttle 3.JPG

Also please provide a Signature line listing your model, year and engine. It helps other owners know at a glance whether their experience applies. And, if you will, give us a name to call you by. Click on your Username at top of page, then "Signautre." Whatever you write there will appear under all of your future posts.

brassmeister

Thanks.

I have the later cockpit console with separate engine shutoff knob / pull. Unfortunately, I don't have pics right now. The problem I'm having is the throttle assembly on the engine won't come back down to idle despite the pedestal lever pulled all the way back.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On my 32-3 I think that was controlled by the cable.

I would remove the throttle cable from the throttle and confirm the throttle has full range of motion.

If it does, you probably just need a new Teleflex (Morse) control cable. They wear out. Most of us have replaced the originals and the result is gratifying for smooth operation of shift and throttle.

brassmeister

Thanks!

I am able to manually return the throttle plate on the engine to idle. Do you happen to know a part number or where to buy a replacement control cable?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many threads in search. Here's one, which also contains link to photos of the pedestal take-apart required.