Lost Sailor

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
He's 38 days out. Many factors could extend the voyage that long.

His family must have told the USCG he is overdue, they would have no other way of knowing or caring.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
He's 38 days out. Many factors could extend the voyage that long.

His family must have told the USCG he is overdue, they would have no other way of knowing or caring.
I feel this is a fair question to ask you, since you've done this trip. Was your only means of communicating a VHF radio? I can't imagine it was, but maybe I'm wrong. Would seem to me that trip would warrant multiple communication methods.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Only eccentrics go without long-distance comm. Single Sideband still works, but everybody else has one of the many satellite communications systems.

Without such comm you can't even get the weather products--GRIBS and surface analysis charts--which nowadays greatly reduce sailing into gales and hurricanes.

All I have is a rented sat phone, a laptop and UUPlus, one of many email/weather fetching programs. It's very hard on those left behind not be informed of current position. To ask others to worry more than necessary is a rotten thing to do.

It's all very easy today. In real time, anybody interested could follow my progress as this link updated every day. Click on any day for a brief log entry.
All by email. Personally I restrict phone calls to once a week for 10 minutes only, ostensibly to preserve satphone time, but really to preserve the nature of the offshore experience.

Mblace

Member II
Starlink offers a maritime plan that is said to provide connectivity globally while at sea and in port, and that isn't bothered by moderate vessel movement. It's not cheap but is a lot less than we used to pay for Iridium.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author

This guy was found. As others have mentioned, his lack of communications gear suggests poor planning.

I spoke to my wife every day at noon over a scratchy iridium go modem connection. My $430 garmin InReach Mini (the size of a garage door opener) told the internet where I was every 15 minutes, except when I forgot to charge it.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
This guy was found.
yes, something like 25 miles east of Kaneohe when located.

And moving slowly. If my California-public-school math skills are working, his average speed over the journey works out to something around 2.5 knots.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
yes, something like 25 miles east of Kaneohe when located.

And moving slowly. If my California-public-school math skills are working, his average speed over the journey works out to something around 2.5 knots.
And snotty condition for a good part of the passage. I hope he writes about the experience.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And then there''s that boat model. While I do know, slightly, the local guy that won his class in a race to HA in his Westsail 32, most of the sister ships I have seen over the decades were overloaded, managed poorly, and seldom equipped to sail with any efficiency. And, many of those owners were dismissive of sailing their boat "up to its rating" and pointedly make fun of sailors that enter races. The boat has a poor sailing rep around here, except for the one that beat up on the high-$$ boats racing to HA........... :)