Just some general questions

CSMcKillip

We have owned our boat now going on 7 years. The boat really was gone thru and everything was updated the last 5 years and we have enjoyed the boat, but I have some questions about general deck and hull and what you have found to be simple and fast with good results.

first off is the deck, what do you use to clean the deck? I myself have one of the lower power washers. I don't use soap and I would but want something that won't hurt the wildlife or have others staring at me when I have suds all around the hull.

next is the hull. I have read Maine Sail and I know.....its a lot of work. The last time we did the hull was 2 years ago and I still hurt. The boat is also in the water and taking a buffer that weighs like a sack of bricks is killing me.

chat away and give me some ideas.

Second Star

Member III
General questions on cleaning

I use a pressure washer myself on the deck of our 28+ as the west coast rains have been extra wet and things get green fast. Some GP spray cleaner like 409 put down and allowed to soak in before you PW keeps the soap bubbles to a minimum. For the hull, if you can't get to it with wax and a buffer etc then I have used automotive detergent/wax type cleaners. If there is still a base of waxiness (is there such a word??) then it does somewhat of a job keeping the hull shiny.

CSMcKillip

Most the time the kiddos are swimming in the lake and I would like something safe, biodegradable.also something that doesn't leave a film.
Also, what about the tray under the M25? I used simple green but was very careful not to ge it to spread into the bilge.

Cheers

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Chris,

If you use a pressure washer, be careful not to dislodge the caulking/bedding around deck fittings and ports or you will make a much bigger job for yourself. I usually just use a hose with a nozzle on it and a deck brush, carefully cleaning off the green algae where it has settled. Sometimes a smaller tool like a hand brush or even a tooth brush is needed to get into the smaller areas.

I rarely use an electric polisher--a good biodegradable cleaner on a cloth to get any black streaks off the hull, rinse it off, a coat of Meguiars #50 Cleaner/Wax applied by hand and buffed off by hand, followed by a coat of Meguiars #56 Wax to protect against UV damage, also applied and buffed by hand.

I have also read MaineSail's article on waxing (among others) and agree that's the ideal way to do it, but when the boat is in the water year round in the Pacific Northwest, what I do works and I get lots of compliments on it--she shines really nicely!

Frank

CSMcKillip

Thanks, keep them coming... It was 77 here today and I am catching the itch early this year. My pressure washer is just a bit stronger than a normal hose bib nosal so I watch all the fittings.

thanks for the feedback so far.