Is this the Merriman brand steering?

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
20230407_132641.jpg
20230407_132624.jpg

I'm specifically trying to figure out if there is a supplier for the bushings in the idler pulley pictured here -

Screenshot_20230407_143048_Drive.jpg

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Check the documents section for a Yacht Specialties / Merriman steering catalog copy. Our '88 has an OEM YS steering system, but the shift and throttle levers are different than yours, and that might just be from a design evolution of the product. Does the chrome nut on the wheel axle have a cast "YS" on it?
I did have to have a local machinist press in new "oiled" bronze bushings in our turning sheaves one time. The axle hole can "oblong" with lots of use.
Your column base looks like it might have a cast-in logo, too.

Edit: some pix of ours in this thread: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/quadrant-stop-on-yacht-specialties-pedestal.3473/

Last edited:

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Yup! I got just about everything downloaded from the resources, it "looked" most like the Merriman to me

I figured the machinist was the route I was going to need to take but also figured I should ask first.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I figured the machinist was the route
If you measure .i d., o.d., length there are a lot of bushing sources without leaving your chair on uncle google. Definitely a YS if original although it looks like someone changed out the original top plate to accommodate instrument pods or ? .

markvone

Sustaining Member
My Yacht Specialties/Merriman pedestal (1981) has 'YS' on the nut holding the wheel on the shaft.

Mark

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
My Yacht Specialties/Merriman pedestal (1981) has 'YS' on the nut holding the wheel on the shaft.
Some wheel nuts have no marking identifying the manufacturer. My Yacht Specialties wheel nut has no such identifying mark. My previous 81' E-28+ was equipped with an after-market Orion pedestal and wheel. Orion was an early competitor to YS and Edson. Components were almost identical to YS. I've found McMaster Carr to be a good source for replacement bushings and stainless shafts.

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Ok, few things here. As some may remember I'm usually trying to plan work activities while on the road based on faulty memory and or bad pictures

It would appear to be the Yacht Specialties based on the YS on the nut and stamped in various places on the pedestal.

I did pop out the old idler pulley bushings, measure them and found them on eBay, so we'll see if those fit real soon.

More concerning, blessing in disguise you could say, I pulled the pedestal to re-core the cock pit floor. I then proceeded to find a broken chain link on the steering -

20230418_122502.jpg

- so like aviation better to find it in port then underway.

I've perused several threads and I'm still unsure where to source the correct chain to cable swage fittings? (One is bent on the photo).

Thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Topic discussed here. (as you no doubt already saw)

That doesn't look bad to me. Unless the swage seems compromised or the wires are busted, I'd probably just shrug. You might be able to straighten it a little, but it doesn't look like it would interfere with the run of stuff inside the pedestal..