Installing a new depth sounder transducer

peaman

Sustaining Member
According to all the "experts" SPW is the source you need to get true wind info.
"True wind" is what you would see if you were not moving. Everyone close by should see the same true wind. But your wind instrument sees the wind to be "apparently" more if your boat is moving into the wind, than another boat will when heading in the opposite direction. In order to calculate "true" from a reading of "apparent" wind, you need to make a vector math correction for your boat speed relative to earth.

Note too, that your sails only care about apparent wind.

ConchyDug

Member III
Is the airmar going into a signet display? Like in this photo.
Screenshot_20230812-164824.png
Or is it going into a modern MFD? Using Nmea2k or 0183?

Kif

It's connected to a Garmin via NMEA 2000. Was installed before my time. Part of a package (Garmin GNX Sail pack).

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
Not sure when you said “Garmin”, if you meant your MFD, or just the GNX sail pack. If you have a Garmin MFD, there is a setting to adjust the depth sounder reading on the display. I changed the depth sounder offset in my Garmin MFD so the depth reading shows the depth of the water under the keel, with a little extra for safety.

Reactions: Kif

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
True wind" is what you would see if you were not moving.
The i60 instrument calculates true wind for you using STW. No need for "vector math correction". As do most other wind instruments made in the last 25 years. Which is why calibration of paddle wheel is important.