Installation of garboard drain in bilge

EricFox

Member II
Thought I would show details of what I did since I couldn't find a lot on the forum before I embarked on this project.

In previous winters the mast has always come down. But it's a lot of work. And an opportunity for things to go wrong - last year the yard bent my furler due to their error in lifting it off the mast rack. So this year I have left it up. But I get a lot of rain water down the inside of the mast which will freeze come December, so I did what a few C&C and CS owners at our marina have done and drilled a drain hole through the hull to the bilge and installed a brass garboard drain (one boat failed to do this one winter and visited the boat mid-winter to find the ice up to the cabin sole - sudden mid-winter project to remove the sole!).

A few comments and pictures to help others who want to do the same in future.

- pilot hole drilled from the inside (main bilge compartment), then 1" hole drilled from the outside
- the centre of the hole is ~0.5" above the floor of the bilge (see pic) which puts the bottom the hold flush with the floor of the bilge
- the hole is angled down very slightly (maybe 10 degrees) to the outside
- the bottom of the hole ends up being ~1-3/8" above the keel/hull joint (see pic with measuring tape)
- that puts the brass drain on a mostly flat surface - the curve as the hull pulls away from the keel is just starting at the top of the fixture - ideally I would have drilled the hole ~1/4" lower to be fully on a flat surface, but then I wouldn't have had room for the nuts on the inside (bottom bolt holes would have been at or below the floor of the bilge) - to make the surface of the brass drain as slush as possible to the hull surface I filed the hull side the brass drain away at the top
- note that there is no air gap between the hull and the grid (interior wall of the hole) - I was expecting a small gap based on a picture that I saw in another post
- I applied a layer of epoxy on the walls of the hole to create a water tight seal for the portion without the brass insert
- I was concerned that screws might break the fiberglass so I opted for #8 bolts (1.5") with the buts on the inside of the bilge to hold the fitting to the hull - everything sealed with 4200
- I finished off with a removable screen on the side to keep critters out during the winter - sorry, forgot to snap a pic from the inside showing the bolts and the mesh screen

I'll let you know if everything is water-tight when I launch next spring.

Hole as seen from the outside - the hole is ~1" deep (hull + grid)
20231011_125850.jpg

Hole from the outside showing proximity to the keel/hull joint (faint line at the 3" mark on the tape)
20231011_125839.jpg

From the inside - the bolt is the forward port keel bolt in the main bilge compartment - holes for the 3 bolts not yet drilled
20231011_125711.jpg

From the outside with 4200 sealant
20231018_192013.jpg

peaman

Sustaining Member
Nice. I have seen such a plug on other boats and wondered why it isn't more common. Using yellow brass for that might be perfectly fine in fresh water, but for salt, I think it would need to be stainless, bronze, or at least red brass. So keep watch for any signs of dezincification.

EricFox

Member II
I made a mistake in the OP - the fitting is bronze. However I couldn't source bronze bolts locally so I went with brass since they are closer to bronze galvanically than stainless. I'm not sure how large a problem the mismatch is between bronze and brass, but I'll keep my eyes on it.

cawinter

Member III
Excellent, Eric, and courageous! Congratulations! I have a neighbor in the marina (non-Ericson) who did the same, and I am in awe. How did you get the pilot holes to 'find' each other?

EricFox

Member II
Thanks, Chris. I drilled the pilot hole from the inside out since I wanted to make sure that the pilot hole was as close to floor of the bilge as possible. The only uncertainty was where the hole would exit relative to the keel/hull joint - that would be a function of the hull thickness, the angle down of the pilot hole, and and the thickness of glass between the floor of the bilge and the top of the keel. I found some pictures in the forum of the an E38 with the keel removed and the bolts showing - that allowed me to determine that I had at least an inch between the bottom of the bilge and the keel. And I found another picture of a similar hole that allowed to determine that I had to go through an inch of glass. With that I determined that the exit hole would be comfortably above the keel joint as long as I didn't drill down at too severe an angle. Then I took a deep breath and drilled! Happily it worked out.

Christian, I looked for bronze bolts or screws at the time but came up empty. McMaster-Carr has some bronze bolts (no screws), but the smallest size is 1/4-20 which is much too large for the mounting holes in the drain. I went with brass since it's next best in terms of galvanic compatibility, and is still supposed to have good overall corrosion resistance. Note that I only sail in fresh water. Do you have a source for bronze fasteners?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
This site has been popping up a lot on my feeds. Never bought or heard of them. But they seem to have bronze fasteners.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use Fair Winds all the time. Prices a lot better than the bins at West Marine, and they stock Frearson heads. Frearson drive is similar to Phillips but when you try it you'll never go back.

Eric, your brass is probably not critical in fresh water, but in general bronze is preferred. Or stainless.

EricFox

Member II
If I was to use the bilge pump to remove water between haul-out and freeze-up then I would end up with water freezing in the pump. The pump might survive that, but I wouldn't want to risk it. A lot of people in this neck of the woods use the plug solution. BTW, I run antifreeze through the bilge pump before I leave the boat for the winter and then disconnect the pump from power.