In The Heart Of The Sea

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Finally got around to viewing "In The Heart Of The Sea".

I have not read the book, but after reading the fantastic book , " The Loss of the Ship Essex, Sunk By a Whale (Thomas Nickerson, Owen Chase and Others)", I had hoped Ron Howard would stick to the true story. In itself, it is an amazing account of survival where the seemingly purposeful sinking of the ship by the whale plays a smaller part. The movie has the whale as full-time nemesis, out to get the survivors weeks later.

While any movie with sailing is better than watching Trump bloviate on the campaign trail, and as good as Ron Howard movies usually are, I wish he'd kept closer to the true story of the Essex. Instead he mixes Melville with Jaws.

More sailing movies please. :nerd:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
On Netflix, Deep Water, on Donald Crowhurst.....

That is an amazing story for sure Dave.

I don't think there's been another race event with as much intrigue.
Crowhurst - Losing his mind and.....
Moitessier - Would have won but decided to go around again deserting his wife
Tetley - Sinking near the finish , found hanging from a tree in women's clothing a year later
Robin Knox-Johnson - Donated his winnings to Crowhursts widow

fool

Member III
deep water...to morning lght

Great recommendation Dave, netflix not withstanding, for those of us with limited band width I got my view from the county library.

Well summed Rick, without giving away either the suspense nor ending, your brief can be found on wikipedia. It isn't the same as watching the documentary but lessons of life and the sea can be learnt by most any media these days.

Forgive hollywood for they know not what they do... bankrupting a good story in exchange for investment - this string could go on for pages. I'll throw Disney's "Morning Light" into the mix, if just for the entertainment value. (Also available from the county library, and no doubt on that other bandwidth service.) Besides, son of Disney races boats!

I should also like to add "White Squall" as a contender but by the time the true story get's to hollywood the waterline has been moved well below decks into the leagues. A sunk story line isn't the best place to start or end a film.

Who cannot re-watch "Master and Commander" as much as they watch the original Star Wars? "bluff bow, lovely lines, not a seabird" indeed...

and "The Cane Mutiny"... great performances by some ball knocking actors...not exactly sail fare, entertaining when swinging from the hook.

"180 Degrees South" a home built film about a dream (not) quite fulfilled and including visionary conservationists (or radical land grabbers) Tomkins (North Face) and Chouinard (Black Diamond) for those of you as or more familiar with rock than the seas. Would you sail all the way to Patagonia, survive and re-rig a dismasting, to summit (not quite spoiler alert) the mountains of your hero's only to fail or succeed?

Not that any of these stories happen aboard my bluff bowed Ericson, lovely lines, no longer named Sea Bird. The most hollywood drama I get is from NOAA or one sided conversations on the VHF. Which I suppose could be written into screen play... as close as I live to Hollywood I should reconsider pitching some of those conversations to the producers.

Interested in knowing what others might keep a watch out concerning nautical flicks. Inquiring minds always want to know what to watch to stay awake, if not distracted, on the mids....

Can you imagine Hollywood redoing Christian's trip to Hawaii? Hmmm... anyone know a good producer?

Cheers,

Max
September Sun
ERY35240D686