I zinc it's time to change.......

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Today I changed my oil, filter and transmission fluid. I wanted to inspect the heat exchanger zinc too. This one was put into service 8-4-15 (approximately 40 engine hours ago). It's crazy how fast they go isn't it?:0

New one installed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On our 1984 E30+ in salt water in British Columbia, Canada, I replace our heat exchanger zinc every five months. At that point it's about half worn away and starting to become soft and flaking away. This seems to be the time frame regardless of engine hours and use during that time.
It's easy to replace, takes only a few minutes.
Frank

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It's only two inches....

Our heat exchanger must be a small one. I have to trim the zinc down to two inches in length for it to fit, so I'm not starting with the entire length.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Heat Exchangers

Rick: There may be more than one size of heat exchanger, but I have only seen one length of zinc for the size needed for my boat.....(don't really know the size, as the boat is in freezing Illinois, and I am in mildly frosty Florida).

Prior to shipping my boat to Illinois from Florida I was in fairly brackish water (I don't care what you call it.....it was SALTY!) I was replacing Zincs on the shaft about every 90 days until I put a disconect switch on the ground cable from the battery so that there was not chance for the shaft to pick up stray current from the batteries or the charger .........once done the zincs lasted for five months......

I did not know about the zinc in the heat exchanger until I had the boat for a year......when I found out and went to change it......IT WASN'T.......

Prior to shipping the boat to fresh water I had the heat exchanger cleaned by a local radiator shop ........they said they were suprised that I did not have a bunch of old zinc pieces in the tubes, as they sometimes break up into small pieces as they disintegrate.....He said mine was relatively clean, and replaced the ends and gaskets......might be worth your while to look into.

All of the above as I have learned to state......."is worth exactly what you are paying for it" (Quote STOLEN fron Loren Beach)

Good Luck

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited: