"Homemade" portable backup bilge pump

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Anyone here ever fashion together a portable backup bilge pump?

My manual Whale Gusher pump continues to baffle me, and if I don't have it working properly before we set out up the Long Island Sound in August, I'd obviously like to have a second means of pumping water out the boat, just in case. I was thinking of cobbling together an automatic bilge pump; long hose that would reach to the cockpit or out a porthole; and some 12-volt battery clips, for quick and easy connection to the battery. Understanding that if too much water gets in it would likely render the batteries useless, and the need for a strong enough pump to throw water up a steep incline, are there any other drawbacks to this?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think you should get the manual Whale Gusher working. It is really the best defense against serious leaks, and when you need it it is there, ready to go.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

My manual Whale Gusher pump continues to baffle me, and if I don't have it working properly before we set out up the Long Island Sound in August, I'd obviously like to have a second means of pumping water out the boat, just in case. I was thinking of cobbling together an automatic bilge pump; long hose that would reach to the cockpit or out a porthole; and some 12-volt battery clips, for quick and easy connection to the battery. Understanding that if too much water gets in it would likely render the batteries useless, and the need for a strong enough pump to throw water up a steep incline, are there any other drawbacks to this?
When I had to rebuild or replace it way over a decade ago. It's a spendy, high capacity manual pump, but those rubber internal check valves will get hardened and refuse to seal after many years. I replaced our pump because I was not able to extract the ss screws from the aluminum housing that held the check valves in place. I also have observed that the bellows can check and crack on any pump after enough years pass.
And then there is the effect of decades of 'decay' on the old ribbed hose the factory installed from the strum box in your bilge to the pump and thence to the thru hull fitting.
Take the pump out and rebuild it, but pivot to plan B if you have to and replace it. Hoses, if original, are beyond their design life by many years, also.
I would advise to skip on "Rube Goldberg solutions" and repair it right and do it once... and be done for another 20 years.

As for a Backup Plan, yup we do have a bucket.... :D
But that's in addition to our two Jabsco 12 volt pumps and the manual Gusher pump in the cockpit.

"Plan C"
I have seen this big Edson pump on a larger cruising boat their emergency backup. Costly, but well regarded.

We saw one of those installed flush with the cabin sole on a Santa Cruz 52, and the owner referred to it as his "Oh My God" pump!

Last edited:

peaman

Sustaining Member
If your manual Gusher pump is original equipment, it is way overdue for a rebuild or replacement. Function relies on two rubber flapper valves opening for flow and sealing against back flow, and with age, those flappers stop sealing so you end up just moving air back and forth. Rebuild kits are available.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Have done all that with the Whale. Still a no-go, unfortunately. Next step is to redo the hoses, but am not getting to it this sailing season. Thanks for the link Loren.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just so we are all on the same pump page .......
This is the stock Ericson (and Olson factory installed pump model.
If it is working, i.e. the internal check valves are working as designed, then it will evacuate water from the bilge. That's if (!) the hose to the bilge is solid with no air leaks.
Trouble shooting this stuff for function is actually kind of easy... it's the access to the hoses and the backside of the pump that causes so many swear words in most all boats. (sigh)
Rebuilding the pump is not too complicated either, once it's out and on your work bench. On our boat this all took some major spelunking into the aft sections of the hull, and probing around under the internal moldings where those OEM hoses had been routed. :rolleyes:

JSM

Member III
I have an 8" section of hose that I attach to the fresh water pump when I winterize. I keep in onboard in the summer, in case of an emergency I can hook it up to the pump, put the other end in the bilge and use the engine as a pump.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I have an 8" section of hose that I attach to the fresh water pump when I winterize. I keep in onboard in the summer, in case of an emergency I can hook it up to the pump, put the other end in the bilge and use the engine as a pump.
That's a great idea, but do you put a screen on the end of the hose when you use the engine? I'd fear debris getting in there and gumming up the works.

JSM

Member III
That's a great idea, but do you put a screen on the end of the hose when you use the engine? I'd fear debris getting in there and gumming up the works.
Only did it once after a big rain and my bilge pump was in op. Good incentive to keep a clean bilge :).

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Only did it once after a big rain and my bilge pump was in op. Good incentive to keep a clean bilge :).
So you just removed the seawater hose from the water pump, connected the "bilge" hose and simply turned on the engine, I assume?