Headboard sail shackle woes

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Hey all. The nylon webbing shackle of the sail slide on my headboard frayed off the other day. I’ve been sailing without it for a couple days, no problem, but have been frustratingly unable to find a properly sized shackle where we’re currently located. Any suggestions for a make shift shackle? Am assuming a Velcro strap would just fly off under the pressure up there. Thought about a couple wraps of Dyneema, but my co-Captain fears it coming undone and fouling up the sail track. Open to any suggestions, or if it’s not going to matter anyway, simply sailing on. Thanks, as always.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Nope. Not here anyway. Maybe at a later stop on Block Island, but won’t be there until mid-week.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
If you can find some narrow nylon webbing and some whipping twine, it's just a matter of sewing on a new strap for the headboard:

I think the dyneema loop would work fine if you can keep the loose ends tidy. Maybe sew them onto the loop with whipping twine.
Think we’re taking the Dyneema approach for now, and will search for some nylon webbing at our next stop. Should the Dynemma fail, there’s nothing inherently dangerous about sailing without that headboard slug attached, correct? The shackles I was able to find would not fit because of the grommet placement on the rigid headboard. Had it been located on the sailcloth, would have been good to go.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Think we’re taking the Dyneema approach for now, and will search for some nylon webbing at our next stop. Should the Dynemma fail, there’s nothing inherently dangerous about sailing without that headboard slug attached, correct? The shackles I was able to find would not fit because of the grommet placement on the rigid headboard. Had it been located on the sailcloth, would have been good to go.
I would want to keep a strong attachment network in the area aloft where my halyard meets my main sail. Dyneema sounds like a good temporary fix.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Soft shackle makes sense to me for a temporary fix. Make from small diameter dyneema (1/8 or 3/16). You can determine the diameter when you make your own. I always make several different sizes while I am making them and before that part of my brain forgets how to. Lots of instructions online, but I like the Premium Ropes app. Remember, It does not have to be full strength for this application. I keep an assortment on the boat, in my PFD when I crew on other boats, and even as zipper pulls on my backpack. Very handy.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Should the Dynemma fail, there’s nothing inherently dangerous about sailing without that headboard slug attached, correct?
Don't think so, just make sure your halyard is on the tighter side especially if the wind is up so you don't damage/tear the shackle below it.