Haul-out frequency

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
This is a pretty subjective question but a couple of posts were a reminder. I'm coming up on two years since I bought my E-38. Assuming no obvious problems, how often should I do a haul-out just for inspection? Everything looked good at purchase time. Hull gets cleaned regularly, prop/shaft zincs get replaced, packing gland seems OK. When I do a haul-out what should I look for? Maybe I should get an surveyor to look for me? Lots of questions. I feel like it's something I should be doing but not sure where to start.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I would never haul a boat for an inspection only. As long as everything is going OK and if you have a diver with some observation skills I see no point. I am going on year 4 with my Ericson's bottom, but may be getting to the point where paint will need to be done next year. I certainly would never willingly hire a surveyor outside of the demand of an insurer (I would resist it then) or a purchase (there are few I would trust in the SF Bay area--or in Maine where I summer). I have railed about this before here, but the quality of today's surveyors seems generally awful in my last few exposures. I am not sure what has happened to SAMS and AMS--I think they make money certifying dubiously qualified folks and there is a real shortage of surveyors who have actually worked in boat yards and are familiar with construction conventions of production boats. I would get a boat yard managers' advice before hiring a surveyor--they see all of them and know which ones actually have a clue.

ConchyDug

Member III
I quick haul once a year to check the bottom out... keeps the diver honest. It's like $230 to haul here. I grease/repaint the maxprop, check the cutlass bearing, check the rudder bearings for wear. See how many more blisters showed up, etc. You can't see your hand in front of your face in the water here so it's easier to haul and inspect. Ablative Petit bottom paint lasts about 3yrs here, I do quarterly cleanings with a diver as the boat stays in the water year round and I don't feel like being scared to death by the 6ft long alligator gars that hang out in the marina.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We haul out to repaint about every third year. I have a diver scrub off the slime two times a year, also.
Our diver will grease or change a prop if needed.

Since we boat in fresh water, "YMMV". :)

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
If you have a good diver they’ll let you know when it’s time for new paint. After watching an inattentive travel lift operator wreck a buddy’s headstay once I figure why risk hauling if it’s not specifically called for (we were all yelling our asses off and waving our hands but he just drove right into it).