Halyard winch for '28 Ericson sail

Greg Lutes

I had a one speed No. 10 Barient which is no longer serviceable and looking to replace it. Without having to go through ebay or Australia, is there a replacement winch out there, i.e., Lewmar? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is this a halyard winch on the housetop?
If so, I would look around for a deal on a Lewmar 30ST. The extra power is nice at times, but even better it's geared down enough to haul you up the mast.
Our boat came with this size and type, and we would not want any less.

Loren

Greg Lutes

Greg Lutes

Thanks for the information Loren. Being a novice to sailing so excuse me for my ignorance. I do not know what you are referring to when you say "housetop"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the information Loren. Being a novice to sailing so excuse me for my ignorance. I do not know what you are referring to when you say "housetop"

Most Ericson-built boats in your (and mine) generation have halyards led aft from the base of the mast, down either side of the main hatch, to clutch stoppers and then to a winch on either side of the hatch. This allows you to raise the main and head sails from the cockpit.
So, "housetop" refers to the top of your cabin.

Ericson would do a lot of options for the initial purchaser, and I have seen boats with all self tailing winches, a mixture of plain and ST winches and some with all plain-top winches.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Greg, do you know about Minney's Yacht Surplus? First phone call here in SoCal for stuff like that.

Address: 1500 Newport Blvd.
Costa Mesa, Calif. 92627
E-Mail: minneys@aol.com
Web Site: minneysyachtsurplus.com

There ought to be a lot of Barient #10s around, actually, since many have replaced with larger over the years. Just ask for a picture , because there is a huge disparity in labeling of winch models--and, leverywhere in life, we want the holes to line up.

And welcome to the forum.

Greg Lutes

Greg Lutes

Lol. Yes, it would be great if the holes matched. It would be so much easier. I have been to Minneys and they do have a large display of winches. Alas not the one I need. Thanks Christian. This is a great forum for info.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Try Bacons in Annapolis, Ebay, Craigslist

Greg,

The Barient #10 should be easy to find, they made a lot of them.

I was just in Bacons on Monday. They have an entire shelf of non ST winches. Lots of smaller ones. I would call them, 410-263-4880 and ask. They can check the condition and function and they ship. They are only open during the week in the winter.

Their website used to list a lot of the stuff they have on consignment, but its no longer up to date.

I found a few pairs on Ebay.

I also found some on Craigslist.

I know Bacons will sell a single. Compare all three for price.

All three of these are my go-to places to find old boat stuff when I can't (don't want to) use new.

Last thought, Does it makes sense to upgrade to a larger winch or a self-tailer or both while you are doing this?

Mark

Greg Lutes

Greg Lutes

Thanks Mark,

I have thought of just getting a rigger and have him upgrade me. At this time for me to hoist sails I have to do it at the mast where I much rather have a setup where I can hoist, etc. from the cockpit. It might cost a little but I believe will be well worth the expense.

markvone

Sustaining Member
This is worth thinking through as an upgrade before buying a winch.

Greg,

Those of us with "aft led halyards" and winches on the cabintop, so we can raise and lower sails from the cockpit, often prefer to raise our sails at the mast. Others work everything only at the mast. Your choice. This an area that requires you to think through the process of hoisting, lowering and reefing and how you would prefer to do it on your boat. You can setup a boat to do it either way or both. Here is a link to Christian's blog on mast cams with some great discussion and how they let you do it either way.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?328-Halyard-Cams-on-the-Mast

My very general thought is that the bigger the boat, the more I want to work at the mast and the easier it is because there is more room and the boat is more stable. I think working from the cockpit can work out well on smaller boats for the opposite reasons. It's harder to work on deck on a small boat - less stable. You are used to close working spaces already, the sails are smaller and lighter (easier to manage) and the distances the halyards run are shorter and less prone to tangles and friction. There is no wrong way to do this, just your preference.

Mark