Halyard lengths on RH 36??

rgraham

Member II
Does anyone know the lengths of the 5 halyards that are in-mast and lead back to the cockpit on a RH 36? Mine got eaten by squirrels when the mast was lying on sawhorses in my yard.

Thanks,
Robert

markvone

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know the lengths of the 5 halyards that are in-mast and lead back to the cockpit on a RH 36? Mine got eaten by squirrels when the mast was lying on sawhorses in my yard.

Thanks,
Robert
Robert,
I replaced all mine and they are lead aft. I like all the lengths. The bill has the lengths but is at home and I am not, but I will be home around Aug 4 and will post what I got then.
Mark

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I believe that if you buy a premade halyard it will come in the correct length (for the average sailboat) based on the rope diameter.

C43B2BCF-21D5-4565-AB1C-52851FB1D5FD.jpeg

rgraham

Member II
Any luck finding out the lengths Mark? Also what diameter are your lines? Are they 3/8 or 7/16ths ?
Thanks,
Robert

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reminder!

All of my masthead halyards (2 spin, main and genoa) started life at 110 feet. They all have an eye splice for a shackle and a Flemish/reeving eye splice in the tail. I lost 2 feet for the eye splice and 1 foot for the Flemish/reeving eye, so mine ended up at 107 feet.

My halyards all lead aft to a bank of stoppers and a Barient 23st winch at the aft edge of the cabin top. I'm OK with the length using my self-tailers, but I would add a few feet if someone will tail the halyard from further behind in the cockpit.

My genoa halyard is 10mm Endura, my main is 11mm VPC and my spins are 7/16 Sta Set. None of these sizes feels too small to grip and they all work in my classic old Barient self-tailing winches which were designed for larger diameter line (not modern high-strength piano wire).
If you are using dacron sails you could save some money with a lower tech line (similar to VPC) than Endura to match the stretch of the sails. In 2011, Endura $3.29/ft, VPC $1.89/ft, Sta Set $1.49.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark

rgraham

Member II
Mark I forgot to ask you which halyards are running out of the right and left side of the mast while looking forward from the cockpit?
Thanks,
Robert

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
.....nobody asked me, but.... IMO, best to run a tape-measure up the mast and get numbers for *your* boat before cutting any line.

Just as a data-point, my spinnaker-halyards are 110' long and, after leading aft along the cabin top there is about 12 feet of "tail". My rig's "I" dimension (Ericson 32-III) is, on paper, about 6 feet less than the "I" dimension on an Ericson 36RH, which implies the halyards would need to be (at least) 12 feet longer. So... making those halyards 110' long seems like there is risk of them coming up short.

Or at the very least, they wouldn't have much in the way of a working "tail" and, for spinnaker halyards in particular, you want them long enough so that, e.g., you can get the working end out around the jib while setting up for a spinnaker set...

$.02
Bruce

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Just an observation, I prefer the main on the right side because i am right handed and you are always hoisting the main. I have seen it on the left for many a right handed owners who shrug their shoulders when i ask why it's over there.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Robert,

I have Main, spin and pole lift on right (stbd) and genoa and spin on left.

And I agree with Bruce. Better to measure to be sure.

Mark