Gasoline smell in cabin

RTGH

All,
I believe that the gas tank in my Ericson 30-2 with an Atomic-4 has a leak, because of the persistent smell of gasoline in the cabin. And, gasoline from the tank has an orange/red look and gritty feel. So, I have these questions?
  1. How might I test for a leak with the tank in the boat?
  2. How would I remove the tank for repair if it has a leak?
  3. Should I use plastic gas containers in lieu of the built-in gas tank?
Many thanks.
Leon Z.

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi Leon,
You may find this thread helpful:

Also, it might help others respond if you include your engine type. Most folks here put basic boat and engine info in their signature lines.
Good luck,
Jeff

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All,
I believe that the gas tank in my Ericson 30-2 with an Atomic-4 has a leak, because of the persistent smell of gasoline in the cabin. And, gasoline from the tank has an orange/red look and gritty feel. So, I have these questions?
  1. How might I test for a leak with the tank in the boat?
  2. How would I remove the tank for repair if it has a leak?
  3. Should I use plastic gas containers in lieu of the built-in gas tank?
Many thanks.
Leon Z.
It's been in service a lotta years and a lotta miles, and that OEM tank probably does not owe you anything. :)
Time to order up a new one. IIRC, the original tank builder is/was still doing business. "Berry Sheet Metal" (or something like that), and others here might have some contact info. Removing that tank will likely be tedious, but that's also the best time to replace all the hoses that "gozinta and gozouta".
Can you add some pix of the tank and area around it?

BTW, having a "gasoline smell" in my cabin would scare the heck out of me!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Leon,

As Jeff says, just go to your name (upper right of screen), click on it, and then click on "Signature." Anything you write there will appear automatically under each of your posts. Lots of models and engines, such information helps members know if their experience applies.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Another cause of the gasoline smell might be the rubber gas lines. They become saturated over many years of use. Pinch the lines with your fingers and see if they smell of gas. If you have the original steel tank it may be time to replace it.

JSM

Member III
Is there gasoline in you bilge ? Can you access the tank to check under and around it for leaked gas ? Check all connections between the tank and the engine. Does your Atomic 4 have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? Check for leakage at the pump as well as the carburetor.
If you metal tank is leaking replace it with a plastic one sounds like you may have rust in the tank.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The tank has probably corroded in the least visible corner on the bottom. Steel fuel tanks in Ericsons seem to last precisely 22 years in my experience with two of them - 1969-1991 and 1991-2013. My current tank is stainless, an extravagant upgrade which will outlast me, but my club had a member who manufactured tanks for breweries and was skilled and generous in the the ways of stainless welding. (My freshwater tank up forward seems to be Monel, from the factory, and is still pristine.)

I would not necessarily assume the discolored fuel is due to rust. Old ethanol fuel turns reddish, and StaBil and Marvel Mystery Oil are also red. The tank has likely corroded from the outside in, creating only very small pinholes allowing a bit of fuel to seep out.