Fresh water tank level

Peter K

Member II
I am a new owner of an Ericson 32-200 (1988). Trying to figure out how many tanks I have (I know some came with a 3rd) and how to determine how much water is in each tank. Also wondering all the tanks fill from the same place. So far have located only one spot to fill fresh water. Thanks.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Peter,
I have the same boat.

Ours has has two water tanks,

1) Starboard aft under the starboard lazerette in the cockpit. The fill is on the starboard cockpit combing. The overfill vent is in the head sink. Just fill until it runs into the sink.

2) Port side forward of the galley under the port setee. The fill is on the port deck near the shroud chainplates. The overflow is in the galley sink.

You select which water tank you want to use under the galley sink by turning the red valves.
Rick

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Small flood

Caution on #1 suggestion. If you have inspection/cleanout ports on your water tanks make sure that they are well seated and the rubber O-rings in good condition. Don't ask me how I know. :0

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you have a bow tank, there will be a third fill, in my case on the starboard side. And three valves under the sink.

Regarding measuring water available, you can't. Just refill to overflowing.

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
taste quality from plastic tanks?

How would you guys rate the taste from your water tanks?
A- fiji bottled water quality,
B- gas station near Tijuana tap water quality,
C- tastes like plastic death and you'd sooner drink from the sea than sample the tank water again.

I have cleaned the tank and bleached it, I have replaced all the feed lines and the fill line and the foot pump, I only fill with clean water from a food grade hose.
I treat the tank with a drop of bleach every fill, but as you can guess by now I still have a HEAVY plastic taste starting after the first week that increases with age.

Any thoughts, ideas, experience?
Time for a new tank? lots of Kool-aid?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
C- tastes like plastic death and you'd sooner drink from the sea than sample the tank water again.

I have cleaned the tank and bleached it, I have replaced all the feed lines and the fill line and the foot pump, I only fill with clean water from a food grade hose.
I treat the tank with a drop of bleach every fill, but as you can guess by now I still have a HEAVY plastic taste starting after the first week that increases with age.

I dunno...my tank water just tastes sort of average. I certainly don't taste any plastic in particular. However, I rarely drink it. I use it for rinsing dishes mostly and drink bottled water while aboard. I also treat my tanks periodically with bleach, using the method laid out by Peggy Hall.

I am curious, though, as to how much difficulty you had in replacing those fill lines. I have two tanks--one under the starboard settee and the other under the vee-berth. It's that nasty corrugated hose with the "cuffs." They leak at the cuffs. Removing and re-routing a new hose does not look like an easy job.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
We have three tanks on our E38. The water tastes great. We don't treat the water at all. I generally only drink the water out of our foot pump though, as it goes through a carbon filter. We were sure to replace the carbon filter and wash out the housing (i'm positive the one that was in there was original to the boat - an old filter can bread more bacteria than no filter at all).

Re: The fill hose - We have a mix of the white sanitary hose and the clear corrugated bilge hose (neither is rated for drinking water I don't think). They are on my list of hoses to replace. They don't look that difficult to access - maybe a few hours to replace all three. Although, as boat projects go, I should multiply that number (money, time, "learning moments") by Pi (3.14159).

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mine tastes fine, and I haven't done anything to it. Original plastic water tanks. I use it for coffee and wash-up on short cruises, but most people on board choose bottled.

What's the tank look like inside? If that's OK, maybe a charcoal filter would help with the plastic taste.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Our factory Ronco rotomolded water tanks did not have a plastic taste. Both have been replaced due to increasing capacity needed and shapes better fitted to the boat.
Having said all that I know from first hand experience that a small mistake in temperature control when "cooking" the liquid plastic in the rotating mold can impart a taste/smell that will never (!) go away. I know this because I installed a new larger Kracor brand rotomolded tank in our prior boat and after battling the taste problem for a year gave up and got my money back from the retailer. Good thing they were an honest company; and they did explain to me how things can go wrong with this particular industrial process. (They have sold oodles of tanks and related marine plumbing parts and had/have a good track record as a vendor in Seattle.)

Talk to Ronco and tell them your sad tale. It's been a long time since EY bought that tank, but they might give you their super-boat-show-special price on a new tank with a new warranty. They have always treated us very well. Also, if you go this route, it's a great opportunity to adjust the sizing of the tank and location of any ports, inlets, or outlets to better suit your boat.

Nowadays, we have two tanks, one very-custom welded ss tank and one welded plastic tank. Neither imparts any taste to the water. I also drain and scrub out all tanks each fall when winterizing the boat. Throughout the boating season, I drain and scrub down the interior of the main ss tank with some bleach on a wet rag, and then rinse it. The taste does not change, but we do not like to see little teeny algae bits in the water, "safe" though it may be. And another nice thing about a newer tank with a 6" clean out port, is that you can look inside with a flashlight any time to see if anything is growing there.... :rolleyes:

"Just one more thing"... we do not have deck fills or a hose from deck to tank. On the Olson the tanks are filled through the inspection ports. We just lift up the settee cushion, and drag the hose inside with a little ball-valve shut off on the hose end. Works great. Seemed kinda odd when bought the boat, but we adapted and appreciated that idea in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Loren

ps: last resort is to drink only rum.
pps: Mark's idea is good too: I prefer apple pi

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
No bad taste here. I use it for brushing my teeth and making coffee. We always drink bottled water while on board.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Hmmmm sounds like I need a new tank...
I like the sound of stainless Loren, We only drink bottled water because of the bad taste but id like to be able to use the tank water for more than washing hands.
I hadn't thought of a filter, maybe ill take some tank water and run it through a filter to test that option.
Alan I only have one tank under the starboard settee so the single fill hose is not all that hard to access.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks Mark,
That looks like a simple robust and cost effective solution. I'm going to filter some water tonight and see if it makes the difference :)