Found this in the Pacific - Japanese Glass Fishing Buoy

frosero7744

Member II
Just thought I'd share. This is apparently a newer model made from a mold. Anyone have any more specific information? The plug had a marking of some kind.

FKFO1159.JPG
fkfo1159a.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Often seen in the doldrums at center of the North Pacific gyre. I've always wondered why glass was preferred to other means of net flotation.

Good trophy.

frosero7744

Member II
Often seen in the doldrums at center of the North Pacific gyre. I've always wondered why glass was preferred to other means of net flotation.

Good trophy.
I may try and tie up a "traditional" net to keep it at the YC. There are actually youtube videos haha!! i love the internet. Any suggestions for what type of line would be most authentic that is reasonably common?

frosero7744

Member II
Found this guy online who specializes in these types of nets for these glass floats. Lots of good information and instruction. Some unique rope options. An attractive option to buy the net made and do the finishing yourself. He was familiar was many markings over the years but the one on this buoy was not familiar. It does appear to be of Japanese origin. It was indeed plucked out of the sea in the high on a delivery back to san pedro last month. Not on an Ericson unfortunately.

1691087074662.png

IMG_1820.JPG

Bronco

Enjoyed reading your post, Fernando. We are brothers from another mother! My 32-200, "Blue Chip", is Hull 913. She lives in Morro Bay.
Give a shout if you're down this way!

frosero7744

Member II
Enjoyed reading your post, Fernando. We are brothers from another mother! My 32-200, "Blue Chip", is Hull 913. She lives in Morro Bay.
Give a shout if you're down this way!
i spend a week in Avila just around bend there each year. We should link up. Will dm

frosero7744

Member II
I bought the premade net in a tarred hemp line and finished tying up the crown at home. The directions were clear and simple. I'll probably retie it a couple more times before i trim off the extra line.

1692031375869.jpeg