F2 Lightning Windsurfer Free

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Want a windsurfer race board from the 1980s? Comes with a Neil Pryde 5.8 and a 7.0 clear racing sail. Everything works (I think) , includes harness. Foot straps need to be replaced. The Lightning is ultralight, made of composite. Not a beginner board but fun to have in the quiver.

Free to pick up in Pacific Palisades, send private message if interested.

f2 lightning.JPG

F2 PRODUCTION BOARDS WINNING WORLD CUPS (1983-1989)

From the beginning, F2 was the only brand whose racing team used production boards in the Euro Funboard Cup and World Cup. All the other teams came with custom designed boards, partly as expensive as a used BMW.

The Lightning was an excellent board for course racing and Sunset and Starlit for Slalom and wave riding contests.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Come, on, sissies! Kelvar doesn't make good firewood....

True, this was the board that retired me from windsurfing. It has a mast that moves 2.5 feet on a track, operated by a foot latch. It has a racing sail that takes half an hour to rig, with full length battens each with its own swivel. It goes in a straight line like a bullet, but at nearly 14 feet long takes an expert to turn. Jibing in 20 knots is very educational, requiring a reverse plane, the usual radical movement, followed by a flying-through-the-air foot stab and the mast-forward thrust required to go to windward again.

Water starts on this tool are what finally retired me. I came home, stripped off the wet suit and harness, and looked in the mirror. There was the explanation of the problem: 55 years old.

Yeah, designed for course racing on protected water. Not the ocean, with surf line and two-foot waves.

But you need this! It is like a gaff-rigged sailing canoe with hiking board. It proves your manhood--or not. It is history! It will make you history!

Unless somebody takes the bait the Sawzall will be plugged in.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I've been waiting to grow my hair out like Kai and Jurgen before taking you up on your offer. It might be a while....

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Come, on, sissies! Kelvar doesn't make good firewood....

True, this was the board that retired me from windsurfing. It has a mast that moves 2.5 feet on a track, operated by a foot latch. It has a racing sail that takes half an hour to rig, with full length battens each with its own swivel. It goes in a straight line like a bullet, but at nearly 14 feet long takes an expert to turn. Jibing in 20 knots is very educational, requiring a reverse plane, the usual radical movement, followed by a flying-through-the-air foot stab and the mast-forward thrust required to go to windward again.

Water starts on this tool are what finally retired me. I came home, stripped off the wet suit and harness, and looked in the mirror. There was the explanation of the problem: 55 years old.

Yeah, designed for course racing on protected water. Not the ocean, with surf line and two-foot waves.

But you need this! It is like a gaff-rigged sailing canoe with hiking board. It proves your manhood--or not. It is history! It will make you history!

Unless somebody takes the bait the Sawzall will be plugged in.
Most Angelina's leave such things on the curb in front of the house and the items are usually gone within hours...I suppose there are parts of town where one mustn't. You could donate it to your club as a wager opportunity with the young bucks. How about giving it to Tony P'S to hang on the wall with an engraved plate. An endless conversation piece and preserved history.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Been trying to give it away for years.

Interesting example of reality. This is a specialized design for which justification no longer exists. Windsurfing supplanted by kites, foils, and so on. Market value zero, but also, storage an issue for everybody--especially yacht clubs (zero interest) or those who might conceivably collect windsurfers (none that I know of).

It frustrates me because the gear is in good shape. It just has no current market value. An old standard windsurfer, sure--you could teach somebody on that and then throw it away. Not this.

Reminds me of the value of a neglected 30-foot Ericson sailboat which seems a bargain when offered free. In fact it is landfill, simply because better alternatives exist. I think that that, alas, is the case here.