Ericson 38 200 vs Ericson 35 Mk3

rmesfo

Hi all,

New to the forum and Ericson's. I do my sailing mostly in San Francisco Bay but also in the San Juan's through Club Natique and a charter company out of Bellingham.
I have been looking for a great bay boat and have looked at almost every make of boat. I have recently discovered Ericson's and after some good research looked at a 38-200 and a 35 Mk3. The 38 has good bones but has been neglected for the last couple of years and the 35 is exceptional. Both have fairly new engines and standing rigging.

I have attached the links:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/6252576439.html

https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sailboats-for-sale/ericson-yachts-e38-in-alameda-california-81210

I prefer a 38 but after spending some time on both it appears to me the forward berth in the 35 is the same size or even a little larger as the 38. Is this my imagination or is this correct?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

ChrisS

Member III
Intended use?

I like the size my E32, but I singlehand/doublehand more than sail with a larger group of people. If I did take more than, say, two-three other people out on a regular basis, I'd like a bigger boat, but the ease with which I can get a smaller boat in and out of the slip, flake the main on my own, etc, means I am more likely to go sailing more often.

I've seen that 38 listed a few times in the last five years. If I were going to get a bigger boat I'd find one without deferred maintenance.

Good luck with your search!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
the forward berth in the 35 is the same size or even a little larger as the 38.

On the 38-200 the room for the "aft cabin" came out of the V-berth. So it comes down to whether you prefer the open cabin design or the -200 cabin design. Cabin table situation and design is also different.

Comparison of actual berth sizes is here.

That's a low asking price for a late-model 38. It seems unlikely , but is the engine a replacement?

Last edited:

rmesfo

I like the size my E32, but I singlehand/doublehand more than sail with a larger group of people. If I did take more than, say, two-three other people out on a regular basis, I'd like a bigger boat, but the ease with which I can get a smaller boat in and out of the slip, flake the main on my own, etc, means I am more likely to go sailing more often.

I've seen that 38 listed a few times in the last five years. If I were going to get a bigger boat I'd find one without deferred maintenance.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. The 38 is basically sound and it has been for sale for a couple of years but the owner didn't budge on the price. Unfortunately, he hasn't sailed it or really kept it up. There was a survey last year but the buyer walked. This is a good boat for do it yourselves folks, which I am and I will be looking at a 38 200 at 54k to compare.

rmesfo

the forward berth in the 35 is the same size or even a little larger as the 38.

On the 38-200 the room for the "aft cabin" came out of the V-berth. So it comes down to whether you prefer the open cabin design or the -200 cabin design. Cabin table situation and design is also different.

Comparison of actual berth sizes is here.

That's a low asking price for a late-model 38. It seems unlikely , but is the engine a replacement?

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. The 38 is basically sound and it has been for sale for a couple of years but the owner didn't budge on the price. Unfortunately, he hasn't sailed it or really kept it up. There was a survey last year but the buyer walked. This is a good boat for do it yourselves folks, which I am and I will be looking at a 38 200 at 54k to compare. The engine is a replacement. Thanks for the V berth comparisons.

wurzner

Member III
I repowered my 38-200 in 2007 with a 35B and the price was $17K. I also bought my boat in Alameda and it went for 73K in 2006. My boat was definitely used, but it did have all new standing rigging and upholstery. Given the price, it seems like a really good price for a 38-200. I have been on both the 35 and 38, and also owned a 32 and they are all very different...but all very nice boats. Keep in mind any boat you buy is going to need work....they are 30 years old so be prepared no mater how much upkeep has occurred. At the end of the day, it really boils down to which boat you have a better connection with. In your situation, i would likely go with the 38 since you will most likely be paying for a 40ft slip. There is more room in the 38 and I prefer the aft head, but I was specifically looking for a-200 when I bought mine.

Good luck
Shaun

wurzner

Member III
Forgot to add that there will be a nice 35 going up for sale here in the high 30/low40's that is very nice. New sails, hydronic heat, newer electronics, but original engine. Boats in the PNW are traditionally 10-15% higher that CA boats too, so the price of the 35 seems high?