Ericson 35 MK II things to consider during restore

tchiffriller

Hello all,

I am currently restoring my Ericson 35 MKII and would love some input on things to add while I have the boat apart, such as if you are living on your Ericson right now and said oh I wish I had added a light right here or made this berth a bit wider or put a drop down table here. Anything like that.

I plan on taking her offshore to USVI's and doing day charters so also anything structural or safety related to pass USCG charter regulations would be awesome.

I am already redoing the bulkheads and probably the head area. Anything electronic I should add now as well that will help me out in the long run?

Thanks a bunch,
Tommy Chiffriller

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Just a few thoughts, Tommy, though I'm sure that others will add alot more substantive suggestions. But in the meantime, a few things to consider:
1) ensuring you have enough room and safe storage for the number of batteries you will need
2) adding either an inverter or more simply, adding 12 volt outlets and USB outlets to charge smart phones
3) adding a hot water heater--has made our life much more comfortable on board and they aren't that costly
4) changing incandescent lights to LED to save energy and prolong battery life
5) adding a cockpit remote VHF capability so you don't have to go below to use the larger VHF radio
6) giving careful consideration to size/kind of autopilot you would find useful for the conditions you'll sail in
7) any changes you can make to add storage room as that's always needed
8) good instruments--knotmetre, depthsounder, annemometer, chart plotter, compass
9) ensuring easy access to maintenance items--hoses, seacocks, wiring, etc. so they aren't behind panels
10) upgrading the electrical system to get rid of old/questionable wiring, panels, having good fuses, etc.
11) replacing existing ports/windows with some that can open to allow ventilation
12) adding a packless shaft seal so you don't have to deal with stuffing box/water in the bilge

Just some food for thought... :)

Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
#10 thumbs up.

A thorough understanding and upgrade of the entire DC electrical system really makes for peace of mind.

Include the alternator, regulator and starter motor, all gauges, a battery monitor (Victron) and issues of capacity/recharge.