Ericson 28+ Info

Hi everyone,

Name is Robert and my wife and I currently own and sail a Cape Dory 25D out out of Boston. We are smaller boat people, but value strong builds, longer distance capability when needed, and are not looking for a starter boat per se. Given the strong build of Ericson Yatchs, I am wondering if folks can advise me on this boat's abilities given an expereinced crew and proper equipment. We are looking to purchase and my goals are the following:

Sail safely and in relative comfort for a small boat in the greater New England area including the Gulf of Maine. Perhaps plan and execute a trip to Bermuda one day, and/or participation in one of the West to East (more difficult) Cross Atlantic experinces (ARC) with the World Cruising Club. Mostly the boat will be used for cruising, but possibilities are important to me. Thoughts? Is anyone aware of a good article or review of the boat?

Thank you very much for any help folks can provide!
Robert

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard.

Specifically the 28+? There are many Ericson models in that range and they share common attributes. Given your future plans I'd certainly consider sizes up to the Ericson 32-3. Price depends heavily on condition.

Reviews and manuals for most models are here:

Thanks so much Christian - I am feeling a bit star struck as your books turned me on to the Ericson line. I am seeing a 32-3 next week-end that may need to be repowered, but is priced to reflect this. Also, she has a wing keel, which I am not sure about in terms of my needs/wants. I think I prefer the nice deep fin keel - especially as a current full keel sailor. Thanks again Christian - I will start looking at models larger than the 28+ up to the 32-3. I appreciate the advice!!

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Robert,
If you are referring to the 1980 - 1984 Ericson 28+, I've heard it's difficult motoring due to the engine/shaft being off center. My local Ericson dealer, back in the day, strongly urged buyers to order the wheel version to help fight tiller pull to one side due to prop wash. This would be a non-starter for me. I think having a tiller option is one of the advantages of boats this size.

The later Ericson 28-2 from 1986 - up does not suffer this problem and I would much prefer it. I believe it also got a full TAFG in its redesign.
This model is most identifiable by the T shaped cockpit vs the 28+ linear cockpit.

Mark

Hi Robert,
If you are referring to the 1980 - 1984 Ericson 28+, I've heard it's difficult motoring due to the engine/shaft being off center. My local Ericson dealer, back in the day, strongly urged buyers to order the wheel version to help fight tiller pull to one side due to prop wash. This would be a non-starter for me. I think having a tiller option is one of the advantages of boats this size.

The later Ericson 28-2 from 1986 - up does not suffer this problem and I would much prefer it. I believe it also got a full TAFG in its redesign.
This model is most identifiable by the T shaped cockpit vs the 28+ linear cockpit.

Mark
Wow - what a design flaw! Crazy. Thanks for the heads-up:) That would be a non-starter for me as well. Thanks

Hi Robert,

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And don't overlook the Ericson 30-2 and Ericson 30+.
Since you are starting to shop in the E-28 size/displacement range.... do not overlook an Olson 911, should one appear the market.
Happy shopping! :)

Loren

markvone

Sustaining Member
The version I was looking at here in New England was a 1988 28 plus. Might that version have the off center prop?
No. And the 1986 - up E28 model really isn't the 28+ (28 or 28-2) but people aren't always particular about nomenclature. The later model has a T shaped cockpit and most had wheel steering. You are good with all E28s 1986 and newer.

Mark

And don't overlook the Ericson 30-2 and Ericson 30+.
Since you are starting to shop in the E-28 size/displacement range.... do not overlook an Olson 911, should one appear the market.
Happy shopping! :)

Loren
Thanks - I just started to look at them!! Thanks for pointing out the Olson 911, great looking boat and a perfect size.

No. And the 1986 - up E28 model really isn't the 28+ (28 or 28-2) but people aren't always particular about nomenclature. The later model has a T shaped cockpit and most had wheel steering. You are good with all E28s 1986 and newer.

Mark
Awesome, thanks for this. It looks like there are few on the market with the T shaped cockpit and wheel. I prefer a tiller, but admit I hate docking while sitting down to reach the throttle as is the case with my Cape Dory and I use auto-pilot a lot. So maybe a possibility if I go that small. Thanks again!!

jtsai

Member III
Robert, I graduated from a Sabre 28 to an Ericson 32-3 two years ago and am quite happy with the purchase. Sabre 28 (also 30) had an offset prop and I enjoyed waving to marina friends while backing out the marina fairway straight as an arrow. The offset compensates for the prop walk. My boat had wheel.

Here are a few thoughts comparing 28' and 32' after two years of ownership and a solo trip exploring the lower and middle Chesapeake Bay. Some are specific to Ericson 32-3, some may apply to other boats.

Wide side deck: CD 25-D's shrouds are outboard, E-28 are inboard so moving forward will be a different experience. 32-3 has a wider deck which makes moving forward easier. Sabre 28's shrouds are in the middle, tough to navigate for larger person.

Dinghy storage: I was able to store 9' inflatable dinghy fully inflated on the foredeck without interfering with the anchor locker. I doubt you can do that on a 28' boat. Dinghy davit on a 32' just doesn't look right to me.

LWL matters: Chesapeake Bay can be rough. I was impressed by the upwind motion on the 32-2. This can be attributed to longer waterline, heavier displacement, keel configuration (Sabre 28 has 4'8" keel, my 32-3 has 4'3" shoal keel), or a combination of all.

One butt boat vs. two-butts boat: wider beam means two can cross each other in saloon with ease.

Counter surface: I never thought this matters since cooking elaborated meals is not something I do. But the counter surface is more than for chopping onion, it doubles as a work bench, temporary storage when I had boat torn apart. The companion step doubles as a counter surface in the Sabre 28.

I do encourage you to compare 32-3 and 32-200 layouts if aft head is a must. In 32-3, you have to step halfway into the V berth to use the head. The family whom I purchased the 32-3 from moved to other boats but returned to a 32-200, it suit a family with 2 children. Just be aware that any boats with an aft cabin and head not only take away storage but may disperse mechanical components to odd places.

Good luck hunting. I am quite happy with the move from a New England boat to a West Coast boat.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

This can be a helpful thread when comparing models, and if anyone sees a missing boat model, PLEASE add some 'sleeping' info numbers.

Last edited:
Robert, I graduated from a Sabre 28 to an Ericson 32-3 two years ago and am quite happy with the purchase. Sabre 28 (also 30) had an offset prop and I enjoyed waving to marina friends while backing out the marina fairway straight as an arrow. The offset compensates for the prop walk. My boat had wheel.

Here are a few thoughts comparing 28' and 32' after two years of ownership and a solo trip exploring the lower and middle Chesapeake Bay. Some are specific to Ericson 32-3, some may apply to other boats.

Wide side deck: CD 25-D's shrouds are outboard, E-28 are inboard so moving forward will be a different experience. 32-3 has a wider deck which makes moving forward easier. Sabre 28's shrouds are in the middle, tough to navigate for larger person.

Dinghy storage: I was able to store 9' inflatable dinghy fully inflated on the foredeck without interfering with the anchor locker. I doubt you can do that on a 28' boat. Dinghy davit on a 32' just doesn't look right to me.

LWL matters: Chesapeake Bay can be rough. I was impressed by the upwind motion on the 32-2. This can be attributed to longer waterline, heavier displacement, keel configuration (Sabre 28 has 4'8" keel, my 32-3 has 4'3" shoal keel), or a combination of all.

One butt boat vs. two-butts boat: wider beam means two can cross each other in saloon with ease.

Counter surface: I never thought this matters since cooking elaborated meals is not something I do. But the counter surface is more than for chopping onion, it doubles as a work bench, temporary storage when I had boat torn apart. The companion step doubles as a counter surface in the Sabre 28.

I do encourage you to compare 32-3 and 32-200 layouts if aft head is a must. In 32-3, you have to step halfway into the V berth to use the head. The family whom I purchased the 32-3 from moved to other boats but returned to a 32-200, it suit a family with 2 children. Just be aware that any boats with an aft cabin and head not only take away storage but may disperse mechanical components to odd places.

Good luck hunting. I am quite happy with the move from a New England boat to a West Coast boat.
Hi Jeff! Thanks for all this great information! So perfect that you basically sailed both boats and it seems like you are familiar with the Cape Dory 25D, a capable little boat. I want my next boat to point better, track better, and sail faster while still being a solid build that can stay out when the weather gets a little squirrelly. Oh, and I would like it to also be comfortable inside, lol. So basically everything:). But Ericson does check all these boxes! I am looking hard at the 32 line now, though a smaller boat may win out on cost and cost of ownership/possible repower. With that said, gosh I like the 32-3. I am also now, based on your advice learning more about the 32-200 which seems like it would meet my needs great. Do you know if the build is just as high quality in the 32-2 as the 32-3? I know the boats hulls are different. Thanks again!

This can be a helpful thread when comparing models, and if anyone sees a missing boat model, PLEASE add some 'sleeping' info numbers.
Thank you!!!

Thank you!!