Ericson 27 lowering mast

Mark Hadrick

Ok, I just bought a 71 ericson 27, we need to trailer the boat to it's new home this weekend. How does the mast step, there is no hinge on the deck, just what seems to be shoe that the mast sit on, is this shoe design so that we can winch the mast down, any suggestion's, Thanks for your help!

Brian Lowman

Member II
Mark,

I recently bought an E25 that was on a trailer with the mast down. (It is a great little pocket cruiser) I took it to a boat yard to have the bottom painted and to assemble all the rigging.

We used a crane to step the mast because, although literature shows that the E25 mast can be sepped using the boom and mainsheet tackle, it is not real practical. Particularly on an older boat like mine ('73) you also put a real strain on your tackle and mast step.

The mast reaches out well past the bow pulpit, flexes a lot and is heavy and unwieldy. Even with 4 of us working on it (the boat was out of the water and up on chocks) we gave up and had the yard use their crane. This made great sense from both a safety and mast securety aspect. (not to mention saving time)

I will henceforth always use a crane to step or unstep the mast and advise others to do likewise. It is easy to break or bend things and replacement parts are expensive and hard to find. I think they charged me about $75 to step the mast (the boat was already in the yard) and it was well worth it.

Brian Lowman
S/V Gypsy Rose

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Hold on there Matey

The E27 is not considered a trailerable boat. Along with her 9 foot beam and 7000 lbs, she sits way to high on any conventional trailer or flatbead. (I know, I tried moving my E27 once).

Think about getting the proffessional boat mover. You won't be sorry and you won't be biteing your nails off while going under low bridges or around sharp turns.

Oh yeah... You're no match for the mast either. (Sorry), The shipyard with the crane, is very good advise.

Good luck;)

Mark Hadrick

Jim Thank for your reply, Due to area that boat will be moved to & work required while the boat is out of water we would like to stay with the plan of the trailer, I bought a trailer that will handle the weight and width of a E-27, however, You stated you have done this. What were the items that you ran into, things to watch for, would like to hear more of your insight. Thanks Mark

Jim Baldwin

Member II
moving experience

Mark: I regular type, boat trailer should be fine. I tried to move mine with a low flatbead. It was 14 feet from the ground to the top of the pulpit and the lashed on mast. It looked to precarious to me and so we off-loaded it and called the proffessional. We had been working all day to load and then unload it. The next day the mover came and within 45 minutes we were on our way.

The weight of the boat rests on the keel and is supported by adjustible pads. Because of the shape of the keel, the boat wants to rock forward. The forward pads will dent or depress the hull if you're not careful. I ended up constructing a small support wall forward of the keel, and directly under the leading edge. This took some of the weight off the pads.

Good luck with your new/old boat. This web site has been a great source of information for me while I have been restoring my '73 E27.

Mark Hadrick

Jim, Thanks for the reply, good info on suporting the front edge,
you'll know how things went next week if I'm on this site looking for a new hull, DOH! Thanks again MH

Cnieto77

moving experience

Mark: I regular type, boat trailer should be fine. I tried to move mine with a low flatbead. It was 14 feet from the ground to the top of the pulpit and the lashed on mast. It looked to precarious to me and so we off-loaded it and called the proffessional. We had been working all day to load and then unload it. The next day the mover came and within 45 minutes we were on our way.

The weight of the boat rests on the keel and is supported by adjustible pads. Because of the shape of the keel, the boat wants to rock forward. The forward pads will dent or depress the hull if you're not careful. I ended up constructing a small support wall forward of the keel, and directly under the leading edge. This took some of the weight off the pads.

Good luck with your new/old boat. This web site has been a great source of information for me while I have been restoring my '73 E27.
I know this is a very old post but if you still have the boat and trailer can you give me a measurement for the support forward of the keel. I am retrofitting a trailer for my 71' E27 and would like the measurement.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know this is a very old post but if you still have the boat and trailer can you give me a measurement for the support forward of the keel. I am retrofitting a trailer for my 71' E27 and would like the measurement.
Best to click on his name and use the contact info there to send him a message. Perhaps he still uses the same email address.