Ericson 26-2 video

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This video may be linked already on the site, but I do not recall if it is.
If so, let me know and I will remove a duplicate.
There is a lot of info on this Ericson here, from a few years ago. Well equipped boat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Shelman" still has a blog here. https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/blog/shelmans-blog.6407/

He also has lots of videos, here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnloBlXVoNp1-J7ydpe7Wdg/videos

Turtle was active on these pages when fitting out, and their stories are quite funny. They fixed up the boat in Utah, or somewhere, and drove it to Florida. Had to cross the Rockies, as I recall, trailer broke down etc. He also built a sugar scoop stern onto the boat, which was kinda wacky but apparently worked.

Dunno where they are now, but they were entertaining forum contributors back them. Anybody with an E26 would love it. They overcame everything.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Randall did some really cool upgrades on his E26. When I bought my boat, I emailed quite a bit with him for ideas and tips as our hull numbers were pretty close to each other and his memories were still somewhat fresh. When I'm stuck or want to see what something should or could look like for my boat or engine, I'll still go back to his videos and pictures to reference things (along with help from @Roger Janeway, who maintains a lovely stock version of an E26-2 that is 9 hull numbers away from mine).

As Christian said, they documented quite the adventure hauling Turtle across the country to launch in Florida. They sold their boat after sailing around the Bahamas for a year and moved back to Oregon. I still stay in touch with via email and as of this last fall, he was working as a journeyman electrician with hopes of getting back into a cruising boat this year.

Thanks for posting this, @Loren Beach.

Last edited:

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
So, Dave, who is/was "Shelman"? I could never get it straight....
Shelman is their last name. Randall made all the posts here and you can see he and his wife in the videos.

I think naming the boat Turtle was a clever play on his last name, though I've never thought to ask.