Ericson 25 1973 for sale. Avoid?

venture230

Seems many here are familiar with the Oystercatcher refit. I very much appreciated Roscoe's boat shopping and criteria. Seems to match my own desires and lead me to the E25 as well!

Now there is a local boat up for sale. It is a project boat for sure. Roscoe's detailed refit has given me confidence to attempt fixing up this boat too. It is listed way too high in my opinion and I worry it is in worse shape that the boat Roscoe picked up.
Top concern: deck is soft just Aft of anchor locker on starboard side. Is that a sign of rot? What's the fix for this? I can walk on it, but I wouldn't jump! Roscoe mentioned other Ericson owners have had to deal with this but luckily he didn't.
Anyone have a good reference about fixing a soft deck?
Should I just forget about this boat?

Eric

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A number of odd spelling errors in the ad. Rig appears to have an extra set of spreaders. (?)
With a need to recore part of the deck, the price should be low. Some of the descriptors are just weird, as tho the seller does not know much about sailboats.
Of course there is no way to render any sort of useable opinion at such a distance. I advise caution.

venture230

Owner has only taken it out once and painted the hull (bit concerned there too).
Add has details of travel two owners ago (HI/MX). Has been sitting outside for 5-7 years. I've only sailed a Laser and Sunfish decades ago so my knowledge of larger boats is limited!

venture230

Seems many here are familiar with the Oystercatcher refit. I very much appreciated Roscoe's boat shopping and criteria. Seems to match my own desires and lead me to the E25 as well!

Now there is a local boat up for sale. It is a project boat for sure. Roscoe's detailed refit has given me confidence to attempt fixing up this boat too. It is listed way too high in my opinion and I worry it is in worse shape that the boat Roscoe picked up.
Top concern: deck is soft just Aft of anchor locker on starboard side. Is that a sign of rot? What's the fix for this? I can walk on it, but I wouldn't jump! Roscoe mentioned other Ericson owners have had to deal with this but luckily he didn't.
Anyone have a good reference about fixing a soft deck?
Should I just forget about this boat?

Eric
Also lised on FB. Owner profile picture is old picture of boat before being painted. Not sure how he got the picture?
Thanks for the input!
Eric

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
That forestay/foil/furler looks like toast. That's $4K+ for a 25' boat, at least.
Is that trailer solid? If not, the boat will cost a lot to move.
A decent used outboard will probably cost at least $2K.
The boom gooseneck seems to be mounted too low. Just misplaced, or something worse going on?
For everything you see now that needs work, there is another of equal scope lurking. Are you handy with tools? Do you like working on things almost as much as sailing? Are you able to devote a year of steady work to getting her ready to sail?
As someone who has spent way more time working on our boat than sailing in our first year, I can say it's a long haul and you gotta keep your eyes on the prize. Make sure you're ready for that.
I agree with Loren (almost always, really); that spreader system looks weird (are there other weird mods?); the owner's enthusiastic funky descriptions cast doubt on the accuracy any of his technical evaluation; proceed with extreme caution. (or wait for less of a basket case)
We do love our Ericson, though.
Good luck!!