Engine oil analysis

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Sent in an oil sample from my Yanmar 3GM30F to be analyzed last month, and received the results yesterday. It was like getting a good report card back in my youth. :) I'd changed the oil in March, so the sample I submitted was from the entire season, during which we put about 75 hours on the engine, between motoring and idling. The engine is from 2003, but it doesn't have an hour gauge, and neither of the two previous owners kept a detailed hour log (we do). So it was quite a relief receiving such positive results, even though I realize it's only one indicator of the engine's overall health.

For anyone else that submits oil samples for analysis, do you generally do it once a year? I've seen some people that do it every few months, but with my sailing season running from early April to early November, that seems like it would be overkill.

Glad to hear your results were positive. Had the same engine in a previous boat and was very happy with it.

I do not personally advocate for short-interval "regular" oil change analyses (OCA) - but acknowledge it can be useful. A friend sends off an oil sample once a year (for a jeep) and my impression is he just likes doing it because the results are good.

I've had mixed experiences with Blackstone Labs in the past, in one case they got the engine model mixed up (same displacement but a totally different engine). This shouldn't change the raw data but wasn't ideal - I don't get OCA anymore.

There's no downside to sending off for an OCA other than the cost. In theory after every few (or more) oil changes makes sense to me

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Our town highway department swears by it. You can learn a lot about the general health of an excavator by what winds up in the soup. But that’s when purchasing. I don’t know about the value as an annual activity.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Our town highway department swears by it. You can learn a lot about the general health of an excavator by what winds up in the soup. But that’s when purchasing. I don’t know about the value as an annual activity.
I have no plans to make it a regular activity, but there was always some uncertainty in the back of my mind regarding my 3GM30F, so this analysis certainly helped ease that.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I changed the lube and gear oil after taking possession and sent it in. For under $60 including pre paid postage it seemed too good to be true. If something suspect showed up I'd do it regularly.