Electronic geekery

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Given that it is cold and rainy outside, I've decided to spend the day thinking through some options. In front of a cozy fire.

One of the things I'm thinking about started small, but is now snowballing. I called Uniden yesterday (makers of the West Marine-branded VHF units). Found out that in order to get the current MMSI number cleared out of the DSC programming would cost close to the unit would cost to replace. They want $69, plus $20 "shipping and handling" to clear the programming, and estimate that the turnaround would be "6 to 8 weeks". Plus whatever it costs me to ship it to them. Which means I'd have it back sometime in February, for very slightly less than the price West Marine has the current model on sale today. Hmmmm. Given that it is probably A Bad Idea to go cruising around with Christian's MMSI number, I have to do... "something".

So here's where it starts to snowball. I've looked into AIS systems and think that Christian made a great choice in the Vesper WatchMate system. And being a geek by trade, I'm intrigued by the capabilities of interconnected data flows - I like the idea of having AIS targets show up on the pedestal-mounted Garmin GPS display, and of having GPS data available to the VHF for DSC uses, etc. I also like the idea of discrete purpose-driven devices, in general - I think the GPS should be good at GPS, the VHF should be good at radio, etc. The challenge is that - in most cases - each device thinks that it is the "hub" of the data system, and I think there *might* be value in setting up a data network. And I don't yet understand NMEA well enough, yet, to know whether I can connect the GPS to *both* the VHF and the AIS without creating complexity.

Mixed in there somewhere is that I'm also in the market for a new antenna. When the mast came out I noticed that the base of the VHF antenna was cracked, and the insulation on the coax was split where it came out of the mast, so I'm going to be replacing both before the rig goes back in. But before I can pick out an antenna I need to decide whether I'm going with a dedicated AIS unit or not, because the Vesper system recommends their dual-purpose antenna over a standard VHF antenna.

*IF* I end up replacing the VHF, I'm aware that there are units that contain a GPS receiver and an AIS transponder. The Icom M506, for example, has the ability to show nav and AIS data on its dot-matrix display as well as being a (reportedly) well-regarded DSC VHF. At first blush, that seems like an interesting choice. One thing to install, no interconnections required to have GPS position and AIS alarms at the nav table, no need for an antenna splitter, etc. But it also puts a lot of eggs in one basket - if the magic smoke leaks out of that one device, an awful lot of capabilities disappear. It also, as far as I can tell, only *receives* AIS data - there's no mention of transmitting my AIS data in the product description.

And now the snowball gets larger. Because what I'd really love to understand is how difficult it is (or isn't) to set up an NMEA hub or multiplexer so that data from each device can be made available to all the others. But I also recognize that I completely spent my current understanding of the topic when I typed that sentence. If it is simple to do, that may be a tiebreaker and would certainly provide future flexibility. If it is a wiring or programming nightmare, it may tip me toward a different set of choices.

Has anyone worked through this, either the all-in-one-device approach or the discrete-but-multiplexed approach? And have insights, recommendations or horror-stories to share?

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The screens of the Garmin at the binnacle and the Vesper at nav station both displayed the AIS data.

I also had the VHF connected to GPS, as I recall. It's a two-wire NMEA interface, already wired behind the Victron panel. I think.

Sorry about the VHF MMSI number. But if you keep my number, they will rescue me, which I would always appreciate.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We went with the Standard Horizon VHF with AIS. It's connected to our Garmin 740 so AIS targets show up on the plotter. You can touch the target on the screen and view the AIS packet. The DSC button tells others your position because of the interface with the Garmin.

The only difference between your environment and mine is that here it is warm (very warm) and rainy. It should be in the 40s tonight but it will be in the mid 70's.

Santa better have pontoons on that aircraft of his.

Doh, I just realized, you're the guy that bought Christain's boat........

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
musings

The screens of the Garmin at the binnacle and the Vesper at nav station both displayed the AIS data. I also had the VHF connected to GPS, as I recall. It's a two-wire NMEA interface, already wired behind the Victron panel. I think.

As near as I can tell from a couple of hours of scotch-lubricated reading, all the devices have NMEA-0183 ports. The GPS has two input and two output ports, the VHF has one input port and one somewhat crippled output port (it is only active when a DSC call arrives with position data, so that the calling-vessel's position can be output to another display). And the Vesper Watchmate has one NMEA-0813 input and one NMEA-0813 output.

The challenge (unless I'm overthinking this, but... see "scotch" reference above) is that NMEA-0183 is a "single-talker/many-listener" network. *IF* - and I'm making multiple layers of assumptions here - *IF* the presence of two separate input/output ports means that the receiving device can process two separate data streams, then this should be super simple - connect the VHF to the GPS using one of the GPS's output channels. And connect the AIS output to the GPS using the GPS's other input channel. If I'm understanding correctly, that's how you had it?

Sorry about the VHF MMSI number.

(laughing) with my tinfoil beanie firmly in place, I'd opine that it is a brilliant "service" model for the VHF makers: make it so an MMSI number cannot be cleared by the end-user, and make money every time a change takes place. With no manufacturing or distribution costs, it probably nets out better than selling a new radio. Brilliant!

Vagabond39

Member III
Mmsi

If you keep Christian's number, they will respond to the right boat and location. Then you can argue whether they must throw you back.
Garmin having two i84 ports merely indicates that they talk out of both sides of their mouths. And repeat themselves.
Merry Christmas.
Bob

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It gets complicateder:

One important search and rescue device does NOT use a MMSI. This is the Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, or EPIRB. The 406 MHzCOSPAS-SARSAT system was implemented before MMSI use was mandated, so a different registration process had to be put in place. EPIRBs use unique registration numbers supplied by NOAA. Click here to transfer to the NOAA EPIRB registration web site. Note that EPIRB data are requested in the MMSI registration process. This helps the Coast Guard correlate distress data and further increases the reliability of GMDSS.
EPIRBs, PLBs (Personal Locator Beacons), and ELTs (Emergency Locating Transmitters) are different from MMSI devices because they operate in transmit-only mode.
The NOAA registration service will ask for your MMSI, while the MMSI registration serivce will ask for your EPIRB code. To resolve this Catch-22, we recommend that you go to the NOAA web site first and register your EPIRB, then complete the form on this web site to receive a MMSI. Ultimately, it is the mariner's responsibility to assure that both numbers are filed with the correct authorities, and we highly encourage that you cross-register your numbers on both databases.

(above from http://www.lansingpowersquadron.org/mmsi/how-do-i-register-my-epirb)

mfield

Member III
'a brilliant "service" model'

- Why not offer to sell Christian his radio back for $10? He can attach it to the pram and you will have a $10 discount on a shiny new radio.

Sorry I do not mean to obligate either of you, just a practical suggestion.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey, that's actually a great idea. My next boat is unlikely to have a new radio and this one has my MMSI number already in.

I'll PM Bruce.