E38 Fuel Tank Cover Design

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It seems like the tank is covered with a large removable plywood lid, screwed to a lip on teh surrounding surface.

But in this case the perimeter of the lid, and the existing hold-down screws, has been (very sloppily) covered in glass tape.

Is this factory? No idea why it is the way it is....

Attachments

• E38 Fuel tank cover A.jpg
    E38 Fuel tank cover A.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 58
  • E38 fuel tank cover B.jpg
    E38 fuel tank cover B.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 40

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Im starting to see a pattern.... maybe the PO got free tabbing with every oil change at jifffy lube.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I believe that the area in that photo is about the same size as the factory "lid" over the tank. I have seen a later 38 with that panel / lid removed. It appeared to have been originally installed with sealant around the edge and secured to a flange with screws.

I wonder if a yard worker had trouble removing that lid and gouged it up a bit prying it loose from the sealant. Then, when the tank was reinstalled he "covered up" the lid edge damage with some mat and resin and then painted over the whole mess.

That's just a wild guess, however.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fascinating. Apparently in this run of E38s there were partitions between the helm lazarette and the steering gear; between the starb lazarette and the engine compartment (with a vertical, removable piece of ply to permit easier storage there). And the fuel tank lid was so fastened with tape over the screws, preventing removal.

We are left, 30 years later, to figure out for ourselves what is structural and what isn't.

Here are partitions I have removed: note how the line of screws wanders on the aft piece. Note that none are marine plywood. All very un-ERicson.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

Last edited: