E38-200 Transmission Replacement

atomic2797

Member I
Hi all,

I have an '88 38-200 (Gettin' Knotty) with a M40 motor with <2000 hours and the Hurth HBW-100 transmission.

I'm been having what seems like a common issue with my transmission; slippage in forward gear. It shifts between all the gears just fine and reverse works great. It sometimes engages forward after several attempts. It was not a fun experience coming into Avalon harbor the last time with a full anchorage, 15k winds and a forward gear that wouldn't engage.

I'm going to try some simple adjustments today with the cable, but from what I've read this is a common issue with these transmissions. So I'm already mentally planning for a full replacement.

My 2 questions are:

1) What is the best replacement transmission on the e38 w/ a M40?

By best, I mean a transmission that swaps in with little adjustment or modification to the vessel. Most importantly though is DEPENDABILITY. Is the ZF10 any better or just a new company with the same product? I also see that Dan Morehouse swapped in an upgraded ZF15 which he stated was a better fit than the ZF10? Would love to hear feedback on that as well.

I've been reading about the PRM 120 D2 which sounds like it is much more reliable. Does anyone have experience with this transmission? Any other brand that I should consider?

2) How difficult is the transmission replace & install on the 38-200? That entire engine compartment is pretty tight. I've very good with mechanical fixes, but i dont have the time to do an engine removal if that is what it requires. Would love to hear the process/see pics if anyone has done it before.

Thank you in advance!
-Andrew

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I can't speak about the 38-200, but I did replace the transmission on my E 33 with the boat in the water. I put a ZF 10 in replacing an HBW 50. It was not simple or easy but it can be done. The new transmission has been trouble-free since installation.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
AFAIK the ZF 10 is the same design as the HBW100. My swap entailed more difficulty than yours will because the ZF10 should be identical in size to your current transmission. Mine was larger than the original transmission so it entailed moving the engine a bit on its mounts . It also makes my propshaft stick out an extra inch from where it did before. that's not ideal.

I won't kid you though; it is a PITA Job. Good luck. BTW, there are some threads here about it.

If the ZF15 is the same size, I would go for that. I think when they designed our boats they put the smallest transmission that they could get by with. One size bigger is probably better.

atomic2797

Member I
what problem?

Went down to do some troubleshooting this weekend and of course the transmission worked perfect while tied up. I know as soon as I take it out it will start acting up again. Haha

thanks for the info. I'll keep this post updated as I work through the problem

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Have you tried changing the tranny fluid. Mine slipped in forward gear on occasion until I began using a different brand of fluid, and now it is good.
I think it also helps to replace the fluid more frequently than the manuals suggest. I now replace it every 70 engine hours, so two to three times per year. I change the engine oil at the same time. It's not a big job.
Frank

atomic2797

Member I
fluid?

Have you tried changing the tranny fluid. Mine slipped in forward gear on occasion until I began using a different brand of fluid, and now it is good.
I think it also helps to replace the fluid more frequently than the manuals suggest. I now replace it every 70 engine hours, so two to three times per year. I change the engine oil at the same time. It's not a big job.
Frank

Ive read a few posts that people like Castrol Dextron IV.

What type of ATF did you find works the best for you? Full Sythetic or not?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ive read a few posts that people like Castrol Dextron IV.

What type of ATF did you find works the best for you? Full Sythetic or not?

I changed from "regular" ATF to Amsoil ATF several seasons ago. A friend of mine has been a retail seller for decades and recommended it.
No shifting or engagement problems at all with out original Hurth model 50.
2200 hours on it. (Knock wood!)....... :rolleyes:

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have heard that synthetic fluid is not advisable in these transmissions, and if yours is slipping, I definitely would not use a "slippier" synthetic fluid.
I was using Chevron ATF and later, Castrol ATF (they recommend only ATF), but when it slipped occasionally, I switched to NAPA ATF, and have not had a problem since. I suspect there are only a few companies that make this stuff and then put different labels on it, so I'm not sure who actually manufactures, NAPA ATF fluid but it seems to work. But I do change the fluid far more frequently than is recommended, and I think that makes a difference--when I left it a bit longer once it slipped again, so I quickly changed the fluid and it was fine afterward.

Frank