E35-1 Rudder Stuffing Box

dvwilkie

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of replacing the stuffing or other repairs on the rudder post stuffing box on the original Ericson 35? Mine appears to be leaking.

I have a wheel, not a tiller. It’s really difficult to even see the top post so I have not yet directly observed the leak, but I have water coming in from above the propeller stuffing box (the prop box itself is good.)

I found the document on the packing material which is great, but I have no idea the best way to access it. I assume it’s by removing the helm and going in from the top, but if anyone has done this and can talk me through it I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!
David

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On later models, at least, It is fairly common for water to enter from the top of the rudder tube (through which the rudder post passes on its way to the rudder).

There's a bronze gland there which is designed as a seal. Often the packing material inside is worn out.

But the simplest solution is jut to pack grease into the rudder tube, which we're supposed to do annually. But often/usually the grease nipple (the Zerk fitting) is rusted out and needs to be replaced to make that possible. If the rudder tube is full of grease, it stops water coming up the tube.

Such a leak is most noticeable when the stern squats when under way under power. At the dock, the top of the rudder tube is above the waterline.

I don't know how much of this applies to the E35, but do look at the issue of grease.

More on the gland in this Blog Entry.

Note also Maine Sail's repacking notes here.