E32-3 keel bolt compromise?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IMG_8356.JPG......

Here's a swimming pool ladder immersed for 23 years, half of that time in a saltwater pool. I took it out to replace the treads and polish it a bit.

The rust occurs at the waterline. There is no rust above, or below where it has always been submerged. The 2" stainless tube , according to the manufacturer, is "304 Stainless steel or 316L Marine grade stainless steel."

The rust polishes off, but there is pitting.

pitting IMG_8357.JPG...polish IMG_8358.JPG

Why is there rust at the waterline, but no rust in air or when fully submerged?

"Waterline corrosion takes place when there is an uneven supply of oxygen to areas of the same metal component. It is a type of electrochemical corrosion that affects metals such as steel and iron. When a poorly oxygenated area is adjacent to an area with a good supply of oxygen, an anodic/cathodic reaction occurs."

I can't help but note that this is the environment of keel bolts in a bilge, and also of the rudder post where it enters the water (and we have a member whose rudder post broke clean off there, while cruising far from home).

Not to keep us awake, just a parallel example of stainless steel in the real world. A saltwater pool has 1/10 the salt of an ocean. Does salt matter with this type of corrosion?

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
View attachment 47116......

Here's a swimming pool ladder immersed for 23 years, half of that time in a saltwater pool. I took it out to replace the treads and polish it a bit.

The rust occurs at the waterline. There is no rust above, or below where it has always been submerged. The 2" stainless tube , according to the manufacturer, is "304 Stainless steel or 316L Marine grade stainless steel."

The rust polishes off, but there is pitting.

View attachment 47117...View attachment 47118

Why is there rust at the waterline, but no rust in air or when fully submerged?

"Waterline corrosion takes place when there is an uneven supply of oxygen to areas of the same metal component. It is a type of electrochemical corrosion that affects metals such as steel and iron. When a poorly oxygenated area is adjacent to an area with a good supply of oxygen, an anodic/cathodic reaction occurs."

I can't help but note that this is the environment of keel bolts in a bilge, and also of the rudder post where it enters the water (and we have a member whose rudder post broke clean off there, while cruising far from home).

Not to keep us awake, just a parallel example of stainless steel in the real world. A saltwater pool has 1/10 the salt of an ocean. Does salt matter with this type of corrosion?
Well that is interesting and I look forward to others' opinions of what is going on. We have SS props and shafts becoming the standard these days where softer metals like silicon bronze were once dominant.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Firstly I would remove the nut and fully inspect the threads under it. If the threads are good below the "hollow space" that's where it really matters. If you find a lot of corrosion and missing material under the nut then you may need to come up with a remedy.
Second that.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Ericson over-engineered the keel attachment. check other boats to see the size and number of keelbolts in comparison to an Ericson.