E32 200 1990 - Rail width for mid rail cleat

frosero7744

Member II
Lame question here guys.

I've not been able to find the answer otherwise though. Id like to add a mid rail cleat on my E32-200. Didn't get a measurement last time at the boat, and would like to take some with me to the boat next time I'm there. Looks like there are 1"1/8 and 1"1/4 options. Can anyone confirm the width? I've found a Shafer brand one that seems like it would work well. If anyone has any suggestions otherwise please send them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
C. Sherman Johnson makes a nice folding ss cleat that rides on a genoa track. I have their alternate version that mounts on our alum. toe rail.
Good quality stuff.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
My E-33 is 1 1/4". I use a Schaeffer but it binds on some of the screw heads which are "proud" of flush. It is very handy to have, though.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
E38-200 is also 1 1/4". I have the Schaeffer as well. They're not super easy to reposition but once I found the sweet spot for using an aft spring line to pin the boat to the dock I haven't moved them since.
Lame question here guys.
Very much not a lame question. My boat is an hour and a half drive away so I can't just put a ruler to things when I need measurements and I haven't planned ahead. Someone else will want to know the same thing someday.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
mine, 34-2, is 1 1/4"
Common size track for boats (same for our Olson) in that general size range. One of the few "industry standards" in this world that really IS a standard. :)
(Our 1980 20 footer had 1" tracks)

frosero7744

Member II
I have various ideas for this cleat. Mid ship for a springer line. Adding a block to the cleat and use for a preventer. Moving it all the way aft to help with cleating off my reefed headsail which has just a cam cleat currently. Also, was thinking they would work well for a jackline. i normally take the line all the way to the aft mooring cleats but moving the line forward and off to the side a bit would be nice.

im thinking the loads from the preventer and/or jacklines could be more than can be handled with a sliding cleat. Any words of wisdom here?

Margrieta

Hull 213 34-2
Tried this Rail cleat from Defender.com but the 1 1/8" size for the rail was too small. The only other size is 1 /4 (Pictured). Will update when this comes in.

Attachments

• midship cleat.png
    midship cleat.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 5

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use sliding cleats for spring lines. They aren't as robust as a real cleat, as held in place only by the spring pin.

Extra standard jib sheet slides are also handy. With no block attached they neatly hold a boarding step or temporary side-ladder.

frosero7744

Member II
Gauhauer has a reasonably priced cleat for a 1 1/4" track.
I bought mine from Gauhauer and was cheaper than others i saw online. Shaefer was the only other manufacture i could find. definelty an 1.25" cleat. As Christian mentioned good for springer lines and not a main line. I use mine to cleat off the jib furling line if its reefed also. There's a cam cleat there also but by itself makes me nervous in the Bay winds. I cam cleat it then cleat it cleat it. Just in case. Nothing has ripped off yet.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, the pix in this blog show our Sherman Johnson "midship" cleat on the starb. rail They used to sell a version with a flat base for deck mounting and also a T track version, but their site does not mention those now. A phone call would be in order to see if they still have the other versions on hand.
It is Very Handy to have and is in use constantly.

Last edited: