E29 Sling Locations

funkyculley

I'm having my 1978 e29 hauled out for a bottom job next week. This will be the first time I've had the boat hauled out after a year+ of ownership while I renovated the long-forgotten interior and sailed around. Could anyone provide me with the best way to determine the sling locations?

I assume the front one should be directly bow-ward of the keel and the aft sling between the end of the keel and the beginning of the prop shaft. Is this correct?

TIA

I don't have a succinct answer and am curious what others will say - along with the boatyard. Since pictures are sometimes worth more than words below is a link to another E29 on the slings - it may help.

I've witnessed a heated exchange between a boat owner getting hauled out and the lift operator: "This is my job I know what I'm doing", "Well it's my boat!"

Best of luck, would love to see pictures when you have them.

funkyculley

I don't have a succinct answer and am curious what others will say - along with the boatyard. Since pictures are sometimes worth more than words below is a link to another E29 on the slings - it may help.

I've witnessed a heated exchange between a boat owner getting hauled out and the lift operator: "This is my job I know what I'm doing", "Well it's my boat!"

Best of luck, would love to see pictures when you have them.

That was actually immensely helpful; I went through the poster's profile and found other pictures from various angles, have a much better idea for sling placement now.

Would be interested to hear any words of caution or tips, admittedly the haul-out makes me more nervous than a day on rough seas

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One good caution- the boatyard should tie the sides of the slings together. Sometimes the bow sling will (occasionally) slide forward and off. True of many many boats. Local yard where I have hauled out for many years does this for all lifts, just as a general precaution.

And depending on their lift point and height of water surface, they sometimes will demand that you back into the sling area, and also then temporarily disconnect the backstay.

While you are out of the water, now's the time to put some labels on the top of the hull side, for the future. Take pix of the boat from the side and save a printout for your "boat book" on board, too. This will save time and uncertainty in the future...

We have labels now, and should have done so years ago. I can tell the lift operator that he/she can lift a bit more towards the center but definitely Not further away from center, especially aft where the shaft emerges.

Attachments

• lifting labels.jpg
    lifting labels.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
My yard places the slings as you described -- fore and aft of the keel. After taking up the slack, a guy goes below and spins the prop shaft by hand to confirm it did not get pinched by the aft sling. Then they continue with the haul-out.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
My yard places the slings as you described -- fore and aft of the keel. After taking up the slack, a guy goes below and spins the prop shaft by hand to confirm it did not get pinched by the aft sling. Then they continue with the haul-out.
Very thorough practice! I wish I could count on our yard to be that conscientious.