E25 Peculiarities- what to look for?

trucklawyer

Hello, owners, I hope to join your ranks soon with the purchase of an E 25. I am hoping some members can let me know of the particularly noteworthy things about this model to look for - good and bad.

I have read of at least two of these models in the forums where the soft deck appears to have made the boat beyond repair. So I know to look for a soft deck and be aware this may be a problem area (as with most boats). Are there other particular concerns peculiar to the E 25 a potential buyer should pay particular attention to?

Thank you for advice.

Joel

Am not intimately familiar with the E25/25+ but since they offer a swing keel that may be something to consider - not unique to an Ericson though.
If the 25 is like the 27 one peculiarity might be the glassed-in chain plates

Last edited:

klb67pgh

Member III
The centerboard pivots freely around the pin and raises and lowers without too much effort when operating properly. Swollen or otherwise damaged boards, a corroded bearing/pin, a broken pendant, or damaged hardware under the mast step are all possible to prevent good operation. I think the best way to repair centerboard issues is to get the boat off of the trailer and onto stands.

The cockpit lockers are big enough for stuff but not quite large enough to crawl in and get easy access to deck hardware, etc. I can't get in the starboard one at all. Rebedding hardware isn't fun. Having a young kid who can handle a ratchet is helpful.

Everything else I can think of is applicable to all 70s and 80s sailboats.

klb67pgh

Member III
Good point. Are you looking at an E25 or E25+?

Also, at least on an E25, some were deck stepped masts with a tabernacle and I believe some were keel stepped masts. The tabernacle makes it possible to raise and lower your mast yourself. But inspect the mast and tabernacle for signs of cracking or damage, which can happen if things went awry in the raising or lowering process during the boat's life.

trucklawyer

Good point. Are you looking at an E25 or E25+?

Also, at least on an E25, some were deck stepped masts with a tabernacle and I believe some were keel stepped masts. The tabernacle makes it possible to raise and lower your mast yourself. But inspect the mast and tabernacle for signs of cracking or damage, which can happen if things went awry in the raising or lowering process during the boat's life.
I'm looking at a '75 E25 CB. To be exact, I'm looking forward to looking at it - I have not laid eyes upon her yet.
The current owner/seller tells me he had the core in the foredeck near the forward cleats and the port side of the house replaced; and the centerboard has been rebuilt. This is new information since I first posted.
So I have read a good bit of the Oystercatcher blog on centerboard rehab/rebuild/replace. Now I need to research whether it is deck stepped or keel stepped - I have just assumed (dangerously) that it is deck stepped. And I don't have a clue what a tabernacle is in this context, so there is some more research for me (which is enjoyable). So thank you for the insight!

trucklawyer

Am not intimately familiar with the E25/25+ but since they offer a swing keel that may be something to consider - not unique to an Ericson though.
If the 25 is like the 27 one peculiarity might be the glassed-in chain plates
It's a '75 E25 cb. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I know I need to check chain plates for corrosion - not a deal killer but would affect negotiations and would need to be addressed sooner and nearer to home port. If glassed in, inspection harder. I'll look out for this. Thank you.

klb67pgh

Member III
Chain plates on the E25 are bolted to the main bulkhead and easy to see other than the part that is through the deck. The rear chain plates are bolted to the transom.