E23 bilge flooding

Skye Benn

I have a 1975 E23 and my bilge floods significantly when I'm underway, particularly under power. It's not a problem when I'm at the dock. I'm wondering if it's the keel housing, although nothing was found when the boat was out of the water. It's such a confined space it's hard to fit bilge pumps in there, so the former owner rigged a hand-powered bailer with hoses that run all the way from the bilge to the cockpit. I'm single handing, so I can't go below deck when I'm underway. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to address it?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If your is the Mk2 Ericson 23, you have a transom mount rudder so there will not be a rudder tube to potentially leak. From the use of the phrase 'keel housing' you might have a the swing keel model. (?)
On other makes of boat with CB's or swing keels, sometimes water can be forced up into the lifting mechanism under way. I hope sister ship owners can weigh in. The keel assembly may be similar to the same-era E-25, also.
Good luck!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, if keel-centerboard check that first with keel down and up while at maximum speed. Place towels in suspect areas to reveal wetness.

Also, thruhulls for cockpit drain, sink and head. Hoses OK? Is possible for a head to overflow when heeled or under power if sneaky siphon occurs.

Consider lower gudgeon on transom. Is below waterline when sailing? Sometimes bolts need new caulk.

Since no leaks at anchor, tests will have to be done under way, and a helper useful.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just a thought…..take another “qualified“ sailor along to steer your boat while you go below and checkout what’s happening. You must know someone you can trust with the tiller. BTW, as a new member it’s a good idea to give your location and boat type, model, etc. Go to your name (upper right on your screen), click that and then click on “signature” and fill in some details. It’ll help others a lot to know where and what you sail.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Skye,
Can you take a photo of the stern? I had a 1968 E23 (much different design overall) that leaked when motoring and in heavy seas. The cause was an above the waterline stern drain that was below the waterline when moving fast through the water - no leaking at anchor. The cause was a two piece through-hull that telescoped (one piece slid into the other) and failed inside the connection. I put sealant inside the through-hull and spread it out with my finger. It stopped the leak.

Skye Benn

Thank you everybody for your incredibly helpful responses.

I just had the gudgeons replaced by professionals so I doubt that's the problem. I'll take a sailing buddy out with me and do some testing, and will investigate the other potential issues. It's definitely much worse in heavy seas. It's my first post so forgive me for not including more information about the boat. It's a1975 Ericson 23 Mk2 with a swing keel. I'm in Bellingham, Washington.

Andy

Hey Skye,
We're also in Bham- let us know if you need a hand (or just want to sail!). We're usually down at Squalicum gate 8 a few times a week.

Happens when motoring and worse in rough seas- is it noticeably worse in following seas? Might be a clue where to start looking.
I assume the E23-2 has an outboard so a stuffing box is out?

Skye Benn

Hey Skye,
We're also in Bham- let us know if you need a hand (or just want to sail!). We're usually down at Squalicum gate 8 a few times a week.

Happens when motoring and worse in rough seas- is it noticeably worse in following seas? Might be a clue where to start looking.
I assume the E23-2 has an outboard so a stuffing box is out?
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply! I'm also at Gate 8. I just went out in significant wind. When I'm pointed at a slight angle to rough (for my boat) seas the bilge on the leeward (port) side took on a fair amount of water. At anchor in a lot of wind there was a smaller amount of water, also on the port side. I didn't have following seas to check that factor. Yes, I have an 8-horse outboard.

Hope we both get out in the bay soon.

Andy

Mark's suggestion above seems like a likely culprit if yours has a similar set up. If you're noticing it mostly in heavier wind, I assume that also means it's worse when you heel more with your port side to leeward. I'd be suspicious of any thru-hull on the port side. Think of anything that's normally above waterline that might go below waterline when heeled, including hoses and connections.

I think Bolo has the right idea- put your port side to leeward and go below and start looking for the source of water while someone else holds course. Or if you want to try sluething it solo, maybe you could try taking some chalk and drawing a few lines on the hull around suspect areas and see where it runs. That helped me track down a slow leak last winter.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I think Bolo has the right idea- put your port side to leeward and go below and start looking for the source of water while someone else holds course.
For that matter, take your main halyard and use it to heel the boat over to port, tying it off to a dock cleat. You could be able to heel a 23 pretty easily that way, and then you wouldn't even need to take the boat out or have someone else aboard for this particular test.