E-38 cabin top core material?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have E38 hull #20. Does anyone know how much of the cabin top core is plywood and how much is balsa from the mast on back past the main salon hatch?

The reason I'm asking is because the recent return of the rains to Seattle have reminded me of a wet core area that a surveyor found a couple years ago. A couple of old holes that are patched on top, but still open underneath, are seeping. There are no soft spots, but wet core only gets worse if it's not dealt with. The mast is out right now so I could at least make sure the ring is sealed if it is the source. My plan would then be to deal with the core further back from underneath. I am planning to remove the old vinyl headliner and replace it this winter anyway. Thinking about some beaded paneling for the new headliner.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Beaded_Paneling_Ceiling01.jpg
    Beaded_Paneling_Ceiling01.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 142

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
For what it's worth we have an '88 38-200 and when we drilled approx 3" holes for dorades in the cabin top adjacent to the aft end of the cabin top grab rail it looked like balsa.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks, Ryan. At the mast and back to the forward part of the main hatch there seems to be plywood, which might conduct the water more slowly than balsa. I'm not sure. I need to get a meter on it and see where the area extends to now.