E-34. A blue-water boat?

edokarura

Member II
So I happened upon a very good deal on a '91 Ericson 34 and snapped it up. It will suit me well for the next two years as I float between southeast Alaska and Seattle. But eventually I want to head off across the Pacific and beyond.

Question is, is this a suitable boat for that? Has anyone here used an E-34 for that purpose? Would it be a waste of time and money to do the necessary upgrades to make it possible?

Cheers!

EGregerson

Member III
Blue water boat

A great question...and one that's been running a long time. You can cross on kon tiki, but.... I ran across a guy with a hans Christian 38; about 3' more in length than our E34; but displacing 38,000 pounds, nearly 3 times. The rigging is bigger; the furling is bigger; the sails heavier. Which is all why they cost so much; and can withstand heavier weather. If u have the optional V berth water tank; you'll have 60 gallons (and the manual suggests using this 1st so the bow doesn't sit too heavy in the water); blue water boats carry much more. Fuel is 22 gal or so in the E34; enough for about forty hours. I saw a guy with a 30' boat provision for a crossing; so many fuel and water cans on deck, he was 2" below the water line. My 34 doesn't have a lot of useful space for gasoline (for generator) or large solar panels. (I have 2 small panels delivering about 8 amps; but running electronics and refrigeration (refrig just in the starboard box; if I were to do long distance; I'd put refrig in the port ice box as well) 24 /7 needs generator output too). the E34 was advertised as a coastal cruiser; that's good enough for me. But if you're gonna do it, stow extra sails, life raft, & emergency manual rudder setup. One thread here talked about the scupper drain capacity; 'blue water' boats seem to have narrow cockpits; our cockpit, of course is enormous; so this thread described installing larger drains, just in case. Good luck in you plans; it's a great boat.

ps: I'd also install latches for the transom and starboard lockers.

Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
...On the other hand

I don't think anyone would argue that a pacific seacraft is not a blue water boat; indeed some of my info came off bluewaterboat.com. The ps34 looks very similar to our E34; and displaces about the same. Now these things cost a whole bunch more, but I can't imagine that, structurally, they aren't quite similar. It appears the hull deck joint is thru bolted, whereas the E34 is glassed with roving; and there are a few features that are blue water: like skeg hung rudder and canoe stern. But in may ways the PS and E34 are blood brothers. Something to consider; I'm liking my E34 more all the time.

Attachments

• paciific seacraft 34.jpg
    paciific seacraft 34.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 387