E 32MKIII owners (engine mounts)

Ian S

Member III
I am looking for E 32-III owners to see if I could find anyone that has reconfigured their terrible 3 point engine mount system with a 4 point. These boats certainly have an engine bed that will accommodate 4 mounts and I have yet to figure out why on earth Ericson decided to go with this 3 point configuration. Many of the 3cyl. universal 25 engines suffer from a considerable amount of vibration. After speaking with several engineers the conclusion has been unanimous that the three point mounting will never work correctly. Since the front mount point is is under the the drive pulley it is no where near the center line / thrust line of the crankshaft, there is absolutely no way to control alignment relaibly. the only thing this mount does is support the weight (insufficiently I might add) of the front of the engine. If one thinks about this it makes perfect sense. With the mount point low on a u shaped bracket the torque produced has an incredible amount of leverage over the mount stud rotationally (which it is not designed to ressit) which is why mounts are always set to the outboard end of the engine (leverage) and on the centerline / thrust line giving in line adjustment of angles. I have decided this is a must for me because the vibration is intolerable and I love the boat. My last part of the question is does anybody know of a resource for the two front brackets that would be mounted to the engine block. The C34 is a good examples of a boat with the same engine but on a 4 mount system. The bolt pattern is the same for both front and rear. I suspect these brackets were spec'ed out by the OEM and perhaps made by other contractors and not Universal? Don't know? I would be appreciative of any info or resources someone may have on this issue.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wasn't that bad on my 32-III. You've checked alignment, cutlass, prop? Rubber OK on current engine mounts?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Ours has four but we did replace them when we pulled the engine to put a new transmission in because the rubber was gone.

Ian S

Member III
Rick, do you have the mxp25? and would you happen to have or could take a picture of the mounts for me?

Capt. Ian