E-32 en route to the Puget Sound

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I'm delighted to announce that I'm the new owner of a 1985 Ericson 32-III

And not just any E32.... Thelonious. A remarkable example, thoughtfully maintained and upgraded by her prior owner.

I confess to an interesting mix of emotions right now. Delight at being the new caretaker of this lovely boat. Relief that I didn't have to give up on my quest for an Ericson and "settle" for a CataBeneHunter. Exhaustion at the loooong week of work it took to get the boat taken apart and ready for loading on a truck. A tinge of sadness that my first act as her new owner was to take her apart and load her on a truck to a place far from her familiar SoCal waters. And, in candor, a bit of second-guessing. Not about the boat, but the name. I'd had a name pretty much picked out, but it occurs to me that Thelonious has a bit of provenance attached to her, and I'm pondering whether renaming her would feel as blasphemous as renaming, say, Windward Passage or Ticonderoga. Much to consider.

My heartfelt gratitude to Christian and his broker. They both went above and beyond in making this go as smoothly as it possibly could. There are a lot of moving parts in buying a boat from 1200 miles away, and they were both great to work with.

So now the boat is on the way. She left Marina del Rey about noon on Friday, and if the weather (and traffic) gods are feeling charitable she should arrive at the Everett Marina late this afternoon, and splash first thing Monday morning. I probably won't step the rig for a week or two - I figure as long as it is out of the boat I'll replace the coax and the mast lights, upgrade the VHF antenna, check the sheaves and exits, give the standing rigging a good going-over, and probably a few other things. And so it begins. I'm smiling as I type this - it is *so* nice to have boat-things-to-do to look forward to again! It's been far too long.

I'll probably start a blog later this week, too. While nowhere near the word-artist that Christian is, I'd kinda like to keep the story going. At the very least, I've learned a lot about choosing a trucking company and preparing a boat for a road trip. Maybe that will be useful/interesting to others, and we'll see where it goes from there.

In the meantime, big smile here. I have an Ericson!

Bruce

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_1274 (40percent, cropped).jpg
    DSC_1274 (40percent, cropped).jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very pleased Bruce is the new caretaker. This is a lucky boat now to ply lovely Puget Sound.

As far as I know she has had four owners. The original purchaser sailed her in Northern Cal, and did the maintenance, until about 2010. She wound up somehow in SoCal. The next owner was a nice middle-aged fellow with a trust fund--a recovering alcoholic who took up sailing to ward off demons. He told me he quickly found The E32-3 a bit much for his skill level, after sailing school in a 22-footer. He ran into a dock and bent the pulpit, and that was that. I was going to buy a Grand Banks trawler and drink martinis in peace, until the deal fell through and I saw those Bruce King lines and came to my senses (if that is what happened).

What a great boat. Of all I have owned or sailed, the 32-3 was the best all around.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Such a beautiful boat! I'm sure she will continue to be appreciated.
I have a feeling Christian is stepping up to a bigger boat in order to fit the all girl crew on the way to Tahiti... Or maybe just devoting more time to preparing the sailing pram for its solo trip to Hawaii... I'm sure what ever his plan he will find a way to make us all jealous.

mfield

Member III
Damp and Misty North

Poor Thelonious, after so much time being pampered in balmy socal it will be a shock to see rain again.

My best wishes to the new owner and I'm excited to looking forward to hearing about the 38.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Poor Thelonious, after so much time being pampered in balmy socal it will be a shock to see rain again.

She splashed into 44F water yesterday on the shortest/darkest day of the year. Today the air temp is a whopping 38F, and drizzly. I keep reassuring her that summers around here are gorgeous, and there are hundreds of islands and coves to explore....

GregB

Member II
Brrr

She splashed into 44F water yesterday on the shortest/darkest day of the year. Today the air temp is a whopping 38F, and drizzly. I keep reassuring her that summers around here are gorgeous, and there are hundreds of islands and coves to explore....

That was a quick trip North. All is in order I presume!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
amazingly smooth

That was a quick trip North. All is in order I presume!

Yes, boat arrived in perfect condition. Not even dirty! She came out of the water in MdR at 0800 Friday, and slipped into Puget Sound at 0800 Monday.

Hats off to Piazza and Sons Yacht Transport - they did a great job, and took great care of the boat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have just got back from Vail, looking down through snow storm at moguls I used to laugh at but which now laugh at me, and contemplating boats, where all you have to do is sit on your butt.

Man, that was indeed a quick highway trip north for the young yacht!

Great job, Bruce.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner

Well, that looks like an enlarged version of Thelonious. You should feel right at home (although the hand holds below may take four bounces to reach than two).

What is it about those west coast Ericsons that make them look so good? Is it the colder water or just being that much further from the equator?

Hope you buy this one and name it after another jazz great (Bird is available)..,,lol