E-30+ Sail P,I,J

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
While collecting quotes for a new main sail for Discovery, I always use Sailboat data (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ericson-30) for sail dimensions:
Rig and Sail Particulars
J - 12.20 ft / 3.72 m
I -36.50 ft / 11.13 m
P - 38.50 ft / 11.73 m
E - 12.83 ft / 3.91 m

2 Sail Lofts accepted these numbers but a third asked me to measure the current 20+ year old sail.
I have concerns about this last sail loft and my question is, do I have a legitimate concern?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A long time ago, when I was selling some sails for a big loft in Seattle, the loft mgr insisted that I measure everything (!), and then for potentially tricky parts like the tack and clew offsets take some pictures too.
IMHO a loft will accept the info from a source like 'sailboat data' for making estimates, but will not build a sail from those measurements.

Also, the measurements from the existing sail will represent a sail that has changed shape or potentially been modified over time, and perhaps was not quite correct even when it was new. Those black bands on the mast and boom are important, too. Decide on how many reefs and what % of reduction you need for your sailing area, too. Make sure that your Ericson emblem is included, numbers, and a draft stripe is nice also.

Regards,
Loren

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
A long time ago, when I was selling some sails for a big loft in Seattle, the loft mgr insisted that I measure everything (!), and then for potentially tricky parts like the tack and clew offsets take some pictures too.
IMHO a loft will accept the info from a source like 'sailboat data' for making estimates, but will not build a sail from those measurements.

Also, the measurements from the existing sail will represent a sail that has changed shape or potentially been modified over time, and perhaps was not quite correct even when it was new. Those black bands on the mast and boom are important, too. Decide on how many reefs and what % of reduction you need for your sailing area, too. Make sure that your Ericson emblem is included, numbers, and a draft stripe is nice also.

Regards,
Loren
Loren,
Your comments regarding the existing 20+ year old sail are a major concern of mine also. It is also my belief that the sailboat data information is a better representation that what i would get from measuring the old sail.

Bottom line, no one is going to come to my marina and take measurements of the mast and boom as they are both in storage and for that reason it is not possible to raise the old sail for measuring. Also, the big sail lofts near New Port Rhode Island are sub-letting to smaller shops.

Conclusion: Gut pick the loft I think has the best experience.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Uh, sailmakers can use Sailboatdata dimension for estimates, but the actual order requires measurement of your own boat.

You can make those measurements yourself, but a good sailmaker will often come to the boat and do it.

I'd never order a sail of any kind without the rig in place, and certainly not by measuring some 20-year-old stretched-out rag.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Uh, sailmakers can use Sailboatdata dimension for estimates, but the actual order requires measurement of your own boat.

You can make those measurements yourself, but a good sailmaker will often come to the boat and do it.

I'd never order a sail of any kind without the rig in place, and certainly not by measuring some 20-year-old stretched-out rag.

Well that certainly puts me in a tight spot. The sailmakers are between 250 and 550 miles from my marina.
As for the rig, I haven't removed and replaced bow and stern cracked chain plates yet.

Recommendation -
1. Don't order sails until the mast is back up.
2. Find a sail loft closer to the marina

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Recommendation -
1. Don't order sails until the mast is back up.
UKSails used to have a detailed guide on their site to show an owner how to measure all the details for a sail. Perhaps they still do.
I agree that it would be a lot easier with the mast up, altho much depends on how accessible the spars are now.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
@mjsouleman
Mark,
We used Quantum in Bristol, RI. Steve insisted on coming to measure from our boat. Fortunately, the rig was up. His insistence on measuring gave me a greater level of comfort. He preferred that our sails were off for measuring and never looked at our old sails. I don't know if he could get the data he needs for your boat with your rig down. We've been in to view the completed sails and were very pleased. Of course, we won't get to try them out until May.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Cheers,
Jeff

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
@mjsouleman
Mark,
We used Quantum in Bristol, RI. Steve insisted on coming to measure from our boat. Fortunately, the rig was up. His insistence on measuring gave me a greater level of comfort. He preferred that our sails were off for measuring and never looked at our old sails. I don't know if he could get the data he needs for your boat with your rig down. We've been in to view the completed sails and were very pleased. Of course, we won't get to try them out until May.
Let me know if I can be of any help.
Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff,

I will look into Quantum and I found NorthSails near also. At this point it looks like I won't get the boat in the water till late June, very bummed:(.